𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞

Montana Miller had always seen himself as a listener, someone who was always invested in someone else's problems instead of worrying about his own that was eventually going to eat him alive one of these days. For years Monty was well aware that it was a terrible trait to have, and for as long as he could remember he tried his very hardest to get rid of it. But how was it possible to get rid of something that was permanently etched into Monty's skin, damaging his mind and insides to the point where his body went limp and he laid on his bed staring u pat the ceiling for hours, trying to figure out some sort of way to help out the ones he loved who were struggling with problems that were perfectly capable of solving on their own.

Case in point, Ginny had a problem, and she thought the only way to make it better was to dump it all onto Monty, who's ear had began to ring long ago as soon as she mentioned how Marcus dumped her in the middle of the play, claiming how they could no longer be together. At first, Monty refused to believe it. He stated into Ginny's eyes for a long moment, trying to figure out whether or not she was telling the truth or if this was all some sort of big joke that Monty's brain was making up just to spite him. Once Monty realized this wasn't a joke however, he could vaguely remember his brain shutting off for a moment, realizing that it was going to have to fix yet another issue that truly didn't concern him whatsoever.

"Monty? Are you even listening to me?" Ginny questioned, waving her hand in front of her twins face. Monty flinched back at the gesture, blinking slowly a few times in order to regain both himself and his thoughts. Ginny noticed this sudden action, causing for her to place a hand on his shoulder and rub it softly, letting him know that she was there and wasn't leaving. It was small, but it still helped.

"I'm fine," Monty mumbled, wrapping his arm around his sisters shoulders and pulling her close so they were able to feel each others warmth. "I'm really sorry about Marcus, Ginny. B-but maybe things will work out for the better? I mean Abby and I took a break, and look at us now. We're doing perfectly fine."

"Yeah, but this is different!" Ginny whined, causing for Monty to sigh deeply and run a hand over his face. "I really don't think Marcus and I are gonna get back together."

"Well, if you put it that way, then maybe it won't happen," Monty huffed as he continued to walk down the block, hoping and praying that their house would come into view soon so that this conversation would come to an end and that he could take a much needed nap. Selfish, but Monty was honestly getting sick and tired of all of the problems that had begun to bombard his life lately. "Look, if you really want me to, I can go kick his ass."

"What? No! Marcus is one of your best friends," Ginny mentioned, rapidly shaking her head. "I would never make you do something like that."

"Good. Because I love you, but I love Marcus as well," Monty sighed in relief, yet again feeling a pang of guilt and selfishness hit him. Pushing down those emotions, Monty instead decided to focus on no his house which was mere inches from his line of vision. Pulling out his keys and opening the door, Monty allowed for his eyes to flutter shut at the familiar homely aroma that overtook him as he stepped foot inside of his house. He hadn't even noticed Ginny was gone until he no longer felt her presence, the room now empty. She probably went upstairs to confide her problems to Georgia who was always willing to listen and figure out how to make her children's lives better.

Monty removed his jacket before making his way up to his room, gently closing the door behind him before falling back on his bed with a loud and dramatic sigh escaping his lips. What a fucking day. Monty was in desperate need of a shower. And a nap. Either or, he needed to refresh his brain before he even thought about moving on with his evening. After minutes of just laying in his bed and doing nothing in particular, Monty picking himself up and began to change into his pajamas, feeling rather uncomfortable in his multiple layers of clothing which was meant to protect him against the cold. Monty fell back on his bed for the second time that evening, staring up at the ceiling as if it held the answer to all of the world's problems. It didn't, which for some reason made Monty feel worse about the way he brushed off Ginny's problems with little to no effort whatsoever. Right before the Miller boy could turn and lay on his side to push aside his negative emotions, the sound of glass shattering pierced his ears, causing for him to immediately sit up on his bed as his eyes flickered around his room.