𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

Dear Monty,
It's been years since I last saw you, and can I just say, wow, you've grown up! You were a scrawny little brat, and now you look like some sort of super soldier. So when I found out what happened at the hospital, I was confused. Then again, I always knew how weak you were. You always thought you were the man of the house, the one who keeps everything in order. But you weren't. It was all me. You just tried to convince yourself it was you, and that's what kept getting you hurt in the end. It's sort of sad really, because you really are a good kid if you move past the weakness. Anyway, I'm going to end this letter now. Rest up, Montana.

Signed,
Gil

Monty read the note over numerous times, a hand slapped over his mouth as shaky sobs escaped his tremblings lips (it was the middle of the night, and Monty did not feel like waking his family up with his problems). He knew that he probably should, for this was something his family deserved to be be let in on. But for once, Monty had to handle this on his own. He had been doing this for practically half of his childhood, so in his eyes this was nothing new for him. But despite being on the phone for hours with Abby, his own little safe haven, he still couldn't stop the thoughts that clouded his already toxic brain.

Everything was going so fucking well.

Monty was finally able to crack a smile, one that seemed fully genuine compared to the ones he had been flashing around his family for the last couple of months, his own little attempt of getting them off his back. But then Gil, the only man Monty was truly terrified of waltzed back into his life, that disgusting smile plastered across his lips as he stared at Monty up and down like some sort of villain. That singular gaze was enough to send shivers down the teens spine, his heart sinking to the bottom of his stomach.

Monty could feel a panic attack coming on, the uneven breathing and trembling hands a clear indicator. The salty tears fell onto the paper in his hands, slowly deteriorating in the process. The world seemed to spin around him, his vision become more and more hazy as the long seconds passed by. Monty whimpered lowly, digging his fingernails into the palms of his hands until he could feel the blood stain his sheets. The action caused for the teen to curse lowly, running a hand over his face before rolling out of bed. He figured that stretching his legs would give him a bit more energy and allow him to catch his thoughts, but instead everything just felt so much worse. Monty fell back onto his bed, grabbing his phone from his nightstand the checking the time.

3:04.

Great, only three more hours until Monty would be forced to face the day once more and pretend as if he was fine. He was so sick of pretending. Pretending landed him in the hospital. It ruined his relationship with friends and family. Hell, it made him almost loose Abby. But in this case, nobody needed to know about Gil. They didn't need to know how weak Monty was, and how he allowed for the older man to push him around for years until his mother finally decided to get rid of him. Monty sniffled as he opened his contacts, his finger hovering over the keyboard for what seemed like an eternity.

hey marcus, you up?

Monty couldn't help but frown when he saw he had been left on read, his heart aching in his chest as he chewed on the inside of his cheek. Normally Marcus would respond in a matter or two seconds, yet this time there was nothing at all. Before he knew it Monty stood up from his comfortable position on his bed once more, making his way over to the window. Squinting his eyes through the darkness, he could very much see that Marcus' light was on from his room. That was a bit odd, for if he wasn't awake then why wasn't he answering any of Montys texts? It was at that moment the Miller boy realized what was happening. He was being desperate. Clearly Marcus had a life, and other friends. Monty chewed on the inside of his cheek as he walked away from his window, shame bubbling up in the pit of his stomach. He felt so pathetic for expecting Marcus to respond to his text in a matter of seconds, when in reality that wasn't going to be the case at all.