Chapter 8

As determined as I had initially been to cross that thunderpath and begin my travels towards a place unlike any I'd ever known, I was not prepared at all when I reached the edge of the forest later that day.

The last of the oak trees loomed behind me as I stared at yet another thunderpath just tail-lengths away, but this time, the other side of it didn't have more forest at the end of it.

Rather, everything looked so new and unfamiliar that I was almost certain that I was dreaming – thunderpaths that practically seemed to pile on top of each other or cross through each other, monsters pelting back and forth and overtaking almost all of my senses, Twolegs swarming everywhere, and Twoleg nests triple the size of any that I had seen before.

It was almost too much for me, and for a split heartbeat, I was more than set on turning back.

But my paws didn't let me, and I didn't move. This is nothing like what I know, I reminded myself as I actually took a pawstep forward. You can escape from your grief for just a little while, and start new.

Then, as I took another step forward towards the thunderpath, I couldn't help but cringe as several different stenches flooded through my nostrils. Geez, and I thought that the wild cats' territory had overbearing smells... but this is ridiculous, I thought to myself as I then ran up to the thunderpath, beginning to look both ways as the zooming monsters left a gust that brushed my fur. Too many smells, and too many of them unfamiliar...

After a few moments of blocking out the pungent smells and simultaneously waiting for the monsters to clear out, a chill ran down my spine as my surroundings became significantly quieter, and the thunderpath in front of me became empty.

A chill ran down my spine as I slightly crouched down, preparing to pelt forward. Here we go...

Then, without giving it another thought, and not even checking the thunderpath again, I ran forward, not wanting to waste another moment by double-checking.

But that unfortunately had been to my detriment.

I was just about halfway across the thunderpath when I suddenly noticed a bright red monster running straight towards me from my left. My heart immediately seemed to leap into my throat as I did the only thing I could think to do – keep going and hope that it missed me.

And thank goodness, that's exactly what happened, its red pelt just barely brushing against my tail. Holy moly...

I didn't have even a heartbeat to collect myself as I continued across the second half. Unfortunately, after my fiasco with the first monster, I had had no time to notice the monster that was now approaching me from the other direction.

Shoot!

And I nearly suppressed a terrified whimper as I realized that there was no dodging it this time – it was either try and still make a run for it, or freeze and take the blow.

And thank goodness, I didn't even have to make a choice, the monster actually coming to a stop just about a fox-length in front of me, a gust of air brushing my fur as it paused abruptly.

I had no idea what to do. Do I fight it? Scratch it? Ignore it? I asked myself. I had never, ever seen a monster stop for another creature before.

Then, the monster continued to amaze me as it then let out a piercing, high-pitched yelp sound that made me airborne for just a moment.

And just from that, I quickly made my choice, letting out a startled yelp and finishing my travel across the thunderpath, practically diving into the small patch of grass that lied between the thunderpath behind me and the next one.