Chapter 38

I had only been traveling for about a full day before I began to recognize my surroundings. I could hardly believe it.

I could've been trapped in a Twoleg nest that was right outside of ThunderClan's camp and I would have been miserable, however, I never would have expected that the place I was taken to was so close to my home.

Wendell had been correct – and the trees that I used to only be able to see from the distance before, were now towering above me in the form of a forest. A forest of oak trees.

While I hadn't been in this specific area for a while, I recalled it as clearly as I could if I had been here yesterday. The last time that I found my way here was... just days after I lost Chrissy and Sparrow, I realized, my heart now seeming to weigh down my already tired paws. One of the times I'd never felt so alone and lost...

I then took a deep breath, trying to cope with my immense grief. And I suppose I'm alone now... and a little lost, I thought with a snort. But soon, I won't be alone, and I've never had a problem with being lost.

I then began to shake my head in amazement, lifting my head up to look at the branches above, and the morning sun leaking through their leaves. I really am back at the beginning, aren't I? Back to wandering about.

As I then took another moment to breath, slightly padding in a circle as I took a gander at my surroundings and felt a wave of nostalgia. Suddenly, I saw images of the life that Sparrow, Chrissy and I lived when I was just a kit – traveling all day and discovering what felt like every kind of place or habitat that could exist. We'd hunt whatever was in the area, trying new kinds of prey, and spend the evening as the sun set trying to find some place to sleep.

For a moment – and just a moment – I almost was tempted to take my time returning to the Clans. While returning to ThunderClan didn't feel like something that was trapping me, it almost sounded nice to spend a few final days living the life that I'd known for so long, and the life I'd spent with two of the most wonderful cats I'd ever know.

But I knew that I couldn't.

I then almost felt guilty for a moment, just at feeling the slight desire to take my time. Not with that sign I received yesterday, I reminded myself. And not with Wrenkit still out there. How selfish would I be?

With those thoughts now swirling through my mind, I found myself practically pelting ahead now. If those lilies that were pointing towards the forest meant anything at all – and they'd better – I have to get to the Clans as soon as possible.

But why? I then asked myself, slowing down just a bit to a fast-paced trot. Is ThunderClan meant to help me find her?

I felt my eyebrows furrow. If that's the case... does that mean that it was StarClan that sent me that sign?

I then came to almost a complete stop, taking a moment to ponder that question before beginning to travel again. Goodness, as wonderful as Clan life is, it's much more complicated, I then thought. Either way, I can be certain that my Clanmates will help me if I tell them I still haven't found Wrenkit.

Now feeling a bit more at ease, I traveled on, every once in a while feeling a chill run down my spine as I recognized certain things – some things even as small as singular shrubs, trees, or clearings. It was crazy to think that at the time I'd first been in this area, I 'd had no idea that I'd been so close to such a fantastic group of cats.

And thankfully for me, as I padded deeper into the forest, and as the sun almost seemed to be following me as it moved across the sky, the memories that I began to associate with the areas surrounding me were becoming more "fond."