Chapter 39

Thank StarClan, Barley's barn hadn't been touched.

Along with everything else too. If any Clan cat arrived to this barn, turned their back from the rest of the forest and faced the barn, they could just pretend that their territories hadn't ever been bothered. And to prevent myself from losing all hope, I think I'm going to do that...

And after letting out an amused snort, I managed to feel a rush of excitement and ease at the sight of the white wooden panels, the straw surrounding them...

And of course, the small hole in the barn that led to the cozy, comforting inside. And now, here's to hoping that Barley and Ravenpaw are even in there.

After a deep breath, I proceeded forward towards the small entryway, still a bit winded from the travel here. Weirdly even despite the destroyed Clan territory, there had been little landmarks here and there that had brought me the confidence to go forward. After all, I used to come here all of the time... I thought sadly as I came to the little barn entrance. But with how much time I've lost, all of the time doesn't seem like nearly enough.

I then crawled through the small opening, my heart pounding in my ears with fear and anticipation.

But as I made it inside of the barn, my heart then felt as if was practically soaring as my eyes immediately fell on the black and white pelts of both Ravenpaw and Barley, who seemed to be settled in the middle of the barn sharing a mouse.

I could hardly believe I was being blessed with something so wonderful. But now it's time to make up for all of it. "Um..." was the first thing I could force out through the silence.

I then felt the smallest twinge of nerves as my voice brought them to both shift their gazes towards me, their eyes both full of confusion and surprise. "Room for one more in here?" I then murmured shyly.

As soon as I had spoken, Barley's eyes might as well have widened to a size bigger than his entire head, and his mouth dropped as if he were a kit who'd just had the biggest mossball put in front of him. "Ravenpaw, you see her too, right?"

Ravenpaw stood up with Barley, letting out a sniff. "You may be crazy, but you certainly don't hallucinate!"

As a purr began to rise in my throat, Barley gave a quick shake of his head. "Good, just making sure!"

My purr then erupted as the black and white barn cat pelted towards me. "Mist, my gosh, please come in!"

"You don't need to tell me twice!" I exclaimed before meeting Barley and digging my muzzle into his neck fur. "Oh my goodness, Barley, it has been so long."

"It has," Barley then meowed warmly as he nuzzled my head with his tail. "We really have been saying that each time we see each other, haven't we?"

I let out another purr, pulling away and looking into the tom's warm blue eyes. "Sad, but true!"

And after the two of us exchanged an excited, pleased glance, something that I could still hardly fathom was happening, Barley let out another purr and seemed to use his tail to beckon me deeper into the barn. "Come on in, Mist!" he repeated to me, something that his excitement and eagerness probably didn't make him realize. "Do you need anything? Do you want the rest of our mouse?"

I then widened my eyes as Ravenpaw seemed to let out an exaggerated, taken-aback gasp. "Barley, are you assuming I was done with it?"

Barley then shot his friend a similar taken-aback glance. "Ravenpaw!"

"I'm kidding, Barley!" Ravenpaw then purred, flicking Barley's ear, and his eyes clearly glittering with amusement at his partner's enthusiasm. He then nodded to me. "Mist, take that mouse, and any other in this barn that you need."