Chapter 36

A gloomy light was leaking through the window of the guest room by the time that the door to it was finally opened, and Wendell and I were allowed to come out.

Of course, it had felt like the two of us had been in there for several eternities – scratching at the door, yowling at the top of our lungs to try and get someone's attention, trying to find a way out of the room, sitting in the middle of the room sharing our anger and sadness, and barely touching the food and water that the Twolegs would slip through the door.

And, at night, trying to sleep on the empty Twoleg bed that was in the room with each time the sun went down, darkening the room completely. This had only occurred a few times, and as we both had expected, neither of us had slept at all.

And I knew that I, as well as Wendell, was feeling a horrible, exhausting fatigue that weighed me down both physically and mentally as the both of us padded through the doorway.

Out in the hallway it was quiet and empty, and the latest scent of Oreo that I could catch was the same one from a few days ago, when Wendell had chased him out of the basement. No...

Neither me nor Wendell were going to waste our time searching the entire house, looking behind furniture and on top of tables and under beds to try and find our son. We were both smarter than that – we both knew that we might as well begin to cope with the fact that he was gone.

However, I did have the smallest bit of hope as I decided to peer into the living room ahead. But as I had worried there would be – there were our two Twolegs simply sitting on the couch, staring at the big bright screen in front of them like they'd just completed the most simple, mundane task ever.

They had no idea that they'd just taken a cats' entire world from them. It was horrible, especially when one of those cats already thought that they'd lost their world...

Overwhelmed with emotion for the hundredth time since Wendell and I had been shut away in that gosh-darned bedroom, I found I couldn't take another pawstep and had to sit down in my place, my head falling and looking down at my paws as if I couldn't carry the weight of it anymore.

I'd now lost both of my kits, and both of them to Twolegs.

And as familiar as this feeling of loss was – it never got better or got easier each time I experienced it. How much more is there?

Out of the corner of my eye, I could then see Wendell padding towards me. He seemed to have made a small attempt to see if Oreo was around by some miracle, but had quickly given up. I luckily managed to feel the smallest bit of comfort as Wendell stopped beside me, wrapping his tail around my back and resting his muzzle on my head.

And for a while, the two of us stood there in silence, the hallway looking especially gloomy despite the sun rays leaking through the window in the room behind us, and everything silent except for the birds chirping outside and the strange buzzing sound of the glowing box in the living room.

And I had no idea how much time had actually passed by the time I heard Wendell sigh, and I felt myself being pulled closer to Wendell with his tail.

I then found myself trying to meet his gaze as he let out another sigh almost immediately after, his eyes seeming to be glossed over with grief. "There really isn't much left here for you, is there?"

The words had barely been above a whisper, but ripped my heart in half as if he'd yowled them to me in rage. "Wendell, my gosh," I replied to the tom in shock as I wrapped my tail around his. "Please don't say that."

"But it's true," Wendell murmured a bit more loudly. And after he gave a shake of his head, I could hardly stand to look at his face when he finally lifted his head to meet my gaze. "Isn't it?"