Vent

(Angst and Fluff)

What if Max didn't let go of Lucas and opened up to him.

No one's POV:

"I'm still here." Max said shakily and in fear. She had just narrowly escaped Vecna and was holding onto Lucas for her life as if he could somehow be her lifeline to escape Vecna if he ever came for her again. Steve was checking her pulse and Dustin was busy holding her shoulder.

"Let's go back to Wheelers' and get some rest, yeah." Steve eventually said. Dustin got up and Steve went beside him watching Max arise from the ground of which was the graveyards land as Lucas helped her. Dustin tried to help her as well but Max just shrugged him off and Steve told Dustin subtly to just wait for a bit before approaching her again.

Max didn't let go of Lucas as he helped her to the car. Steve sat in the driver's seat while Dustin sat next to him in the passenger seat. Behind Steve sat Lucas with Max's head on his chest crying a few tears and it absolutely broke his heart to see the girl of his dreams almost taken from him and then her crying her eyes out. He couldn't help but think what had she done to deserve this because even though she was tough, she was soft at the same time and he was the only one who got to see the vulnerable and delicate side of her.

They finally got to the Wheelers' and Karen greeted them but then saw Max was crying. She asked what happened but they dismissed it and said she was fine. Karen knew she wouldn't be able to ask anymore questions and told them she was going to bed as it was already dark outside.

They all went downstairs to the basement and Lucas went to the sofa with Max and put a blanket over her and him as she was clinging tightly to him. Max had stopped her crying but she was still as terrified as before. Lucas rubbed her arms and whispered to her that she would be okay.

Soon after Nancy and Robin came back from the mental institution in which they found Victor Creel in and Nancy tried to ask Max what happened she just laid her head on Lucas' chest and answered back with no response. Max looked up at Lucas and mumbled with a raspy voice

"Can we talk?"

He just nodded back and she turned her head back to the side and stared aimlessly ahead of her.

After everyone had gone to sleep, except for Max, Nancy and Lucas, Max had asked Nancy if she and Lucas could talk upstairs in her room and she agreed. Max had gotten up from her seat and Lucas followed behind her and they went into the room.

They sat in silence for a few moments before Max started speaking.

"Don't say anything, just listen." Lucas nodded as he was eager to know what Max wanted to say to him.

"The reason Vecna came for me is because I am feeling guilty over Billy's death. I sometimes lay awake in bed at night, imagining that i could've done something to save his life. I imagine that if I pulled him away, then he wouldn't be dead and I wouldn't be feeling this pang of guilt over me. The reason I pushed you away is because I saw how good you were doing with your basketball games and then I looked at myself and saw how bad I was doing and I didn't wanna hold you back. The main reason is because everything that comes into my life, good or bad, eventually goes and it hurts every time that happens." Max was crying at this point and Lucas desperately wanted to say something but he said he would listen and not interrupt and so he waited for her to finish.

"So I thought that if I pushed you away before you leave me it would hurt less and I regret it so much, Lucas, I regret it so much and I'm really sorry that I hurt you."

Lucas immediately took her hands in his." Max, why would you ever think I would leave you? Look, ever since I saw you I knew that you would be the one for me. I love you, okay, do you hear me, I love you so much."

"You... you love me?" Max questioned him, definitely not expecting that to come out of his mouth.

"I always have Max, even when we broke up I never stopped loving you. All of the cheerleaders always asked me to go out with them but I always declined because you are the only one for me and there will never be anyone else, I promise you." Lucas replied, announcing his love for her.

Max immediately went to hug him and held onto him tightly as if he would just slip through her fingers. She released him from her hug and entwined their fingers together.

"I love you too. I just didn't know if you felt the same way, so I never said anything. But I do, so much, more than you can imagine." Max stated, confessing her love for him.

She put her hand to his face cupping his cheek and leaned in. He leaned in as well holding her waist and kissed. Their lips moving in sync and to them it felt so right. They pulled away and smiled at each other and Max's smile was not a fake smile or a sarcastic smile, it was a real, genuine smile and Lucas was smiling from ear to ear.

She hugged him again and held his hand as they walked back down to the basement and felt the the happiest that they have not been in for a long time.

A/N:

Thank you so much to whoever is reading this and I love Lumax so much. I hope they get their happy ending in Season 5.