Ghost in the Machine

Superman: The Animated Series 'Fan Fiction Story'

By Tayla Drago

Episode #23 – Ghost in the Machine

A group of military and press personnel attend the unveiling of a new weapons system at LexCorp. For Helen, Clark, and Lois to work on an article from Luthor's newest invention to be shown today.

"I wonder what new toy Luthor is showing off for the brass today." Clark question himself.

"Whatever it is I'm sure it's going to wind up on all their Christmas lists..." she thinks about it.

For Helen suddenly thinks she's hearing and seeing the same old thing, as she meets up with Jake for him and his friends from school go on another field trip to see Luthor's new work...For them know what might happen today 'if' something goes wrong.

"I bet Luthor's going to set up something to hurt others." said Helen.

"Well I bet Luthor's going to hire someone to steal it." and Jake.

Then they make a bet together as Helen and Jake does so to see who gets it right.

"Twenty bucks say one of those things to happen today."

"Deal."

I guess all bets are off for these two. As Luthor prepares for his appearance, he reminds Mercy how vitally important the event is, and she assures him that everything is as prepared.

"Is Jake here?" Luthor asks Mercy.

She double checks to see from backstage.

"He's here with his sister Helen."

"Half-sister." he corrects her. "Never mind, he'll notice me as his real father to care and to love soon enough."

"Of course, sir." she said. "What would you do without me?"

"Let's hope it never comes to that."

How does Mercy put up with someone like Luthor who doesn't love her back? I mean really...When he takes the podium, Luthor shocks everyone by casually announcing that two missiles are being fired towards them.

"Say what?!" shock Helen and Jake.

"He can't be serious!" and Lois.

"Well, he must have something important to use for this project." thought Clark.

He quiets the uproar and unveils his newest weapon: the Sky Sentry, an electromagnetic 'cannon' guaranteed to disrupt the guidance system of any incoming missile. As the missiles speed towards the tower, Luthor gives the signal to activate. To his shock, the weapon malfunctions, and Clark is forced to disappear, become Superman, and fly out from the tower to deflect the missiles. For Jake and Helen 'of course' helps him out too.

"I'll get those missiles stuck together!" Jake does it with his wand once Superman pushes them aside. "Shamoo! Can do!"

And Helen uses her waterpower's to try pulling the missiles under water of the Metropolis Ocean side.

"I can do this...!" she gives it all she has. "Time to go...down under!" Helen has done it to punch and kick with joy. "Yes! Basics!"

Well, that was close! But thanks to Superman, Helen and Jake's teamwork to come through just in time. For Helen gets paid bay Jake to winning this bet today, but it was no one who was hired by Luthor to behind this mess, or Luthor himself this time. So this was new for Jake to catch on to this quickly to sense out.

"(Luthor's not behind any of this? Well, this is new...I feel something up, coming from his machines.)"

Stone-faced, Luthor orders the Sky Sentry stored in the tower's research lab, and walks out without another word, while Mercy defends him from the clamoring journalists.