🧡Part 16🧡

Avuyile

It was getting late and it was around dinner time and Sandile was a happy soul because in 2 days time he was going to go on the school trip.

I am greatful for Yibanathi at least when Sthandiwe decided to kick the bucket she left me with someone to take care of me. Yibanathi is clever enough to know to save money because if it was upto me alone Sandile would be here playing with his little duck which he caught the other day and decided to keep.

Yibanathi was asleep. I don't blame the poor girl she must be tired from cleaning this house. I told Sandile to wash the dishes and I was getting to bed. Sandile calls me gogo and it only makes sense to do so. Muzikayise I wonder where he really disappeared to because it is like he never existed. He never attended Mdunge's funeral again Ntombikayise blamed me for it.

"Eversince you came into our lives it has been one storm following another."

She said to me. I ignored it and continued my way inside my house.

"You are evil Avuyile haa!"

She said to me just after we laid Mdunge to rest. She was accusing a widow of such acts of wickedness. I left that family house in Richards Bay along with Yibanathi that very same day.

Upon reaching my house in eNanda I found MaNgubo at my doorstep.

"Avuyile you have angered the ancestors you were not supposed to kill him. You will feel the wrath of the Chiliza ancestors. So enjoy life while it lasts."

She did not even enter my house that day but she said her piece of mind outside and vanished like she was never there in the first place.

I went back to work and continued to work now that they had bought a new house and the children were growing but I still took care of the last born. The little boy was fond of me more than his useless mother.

Five years ago

All was well with us the kids are going to school and I am still working and taking care of now the house because the kids have grown and Sizakele quit to become an official housewife. Ntombikayise had stopped pestering me about leaving my house because I killed her brother when he found out about my infidelity. She came to threaten me and left.

A year later she came and told the community in eNanda that I killed my husband for Muthi and that I was cheating on my husband because she saw Sandile and she did not know anything about him she then said I was living with a man in her brother's house then everyone called me a witch. She told everyone who cared to listen to her left my house after turning the community against me and when she left the community came to deal with me.

In eNanda witches and wizards are stoned to death if caught. Imagine because they kill you along with your family so the family will not grow up and want to avenge for your death. So 4 years ago it was around 9pm when we heard people marching and singing. Sandile was sleeping so it was only Yibanathi and I awake at that time. We were also preparing to go and sleep and everyone in the community thought Yibanathi was a child from our family back in Richards Bay because nobody saw Sthandiwe  pregnant.

I stood by the window to see what was happening and it seemed like the community was gathered and they were coming to our house. I got a bit worried because I knew I did nothing wrong to anyone outside of my house.

"We don't want a witch!"
The chants were getting closer and I was on both my feet so I decided to be brave and open my door and wait for them to reach my house and Yibanathi was right behind me and she is very stubborn I know for a fact that she got that from her mother. The marching reached my house.

In less than a minute they were infront of me.

"Avuyile you are a witch!"

Moses said. Moses was an old man who was in charge of the community forum.

I knew I had to defend myself for it was evident Ntombikayise had striked.

"I am not a witch who have I killed?"

I asked because I wanted to know my offense.

"Asimfuni hayi hayi umthakathi hayi hayi uyathakatha hayi hayi!"
[We don't want a witch! She is a witch!]

The people were chanting and stomping on my yard. It was absolutely clear for even my neighbours that I was the problem. Imagine being accused of witchcraft by people in a community where you have apent more than 30 years living in.

"You are a danger to the community. We no longer feel safe with you."

A woman said. I don't even know her and she is crying about safety. Safety? What does she know about safety?

So they don't feel safe now with me around.

" you have until Thursday to leave this place or else we will stone you and your little witch and wizard."

Moses said to me and just after those few words I really really felt bad I don't even know where to go after living in my house for more than 30 years the community they will just come and decide that I must leave my house all because of rumours.

See what living in a community like in and there's really not much one can do if there are rumours placed above you you must vacate the area if you still want to live so I knew that there was nothing I could do to change their mind and they seemed really determined and serious about these rumours although they could be a bit of truth in it but I was never going to admit that especially in public because we've had admitted something or that I know something about it I wouldn't have lived to see tomorrow.

"Sies Avuyile to think we trusted you while you are a self-taught terminator."

Another man said to me while he spat on the ground. They left my house singing and marching. I then.

"Gogo are you even listening to me to me?"

Sandile asks me and I nod my head to say that I was listening even though I heard nothing. I need to stop thinking about the past because I can't change it. I lost my job all because of dropping my guard down.  Mthiyane's wife was not meant to catch us and she was to go crazy but I don't know how she found out about me bewitching her but I lost my job and she  sadly passed away. 

**************