Unsafe (part 1)

Ricky's POV
Gina Porter and I don't know each other too well, but we run in the same friend group. She's friends with Ashlyn, I'm friends with EJ, we sit together at lunch.
I know very little about Gina. I could count what I do on one hand.

One, she's moved fifteen times.

Two, it's just her and her mom, who's reared around.

Three, she has a brother ten years older than her.

Four, she's got a killer high kick and is very intelligent in school and life.

And five, she barely speaks anymore, really just when she's spoken to.

What do I know about myself? I'm a horrible dancer and am terrible at math.

But she isn't.

"Hey, Gi." I slowly approached her at our Beauty and the Beast rehearsal that afternoon. She's packing up her things as we prepare to leave.

"Hi." She whispers. "What's up?"

"Are you busy tomorrow after school?" I blurt.

"Oh." She looks up at me, her eyes big. "No, I mean, there's no rehearsal and that's all I really do besides going home."

That was pretty much the most I'd ever heard her talk at one time.

"Do you by any chance have some time to help me with the Beast and Belle dance? I can't dance to save my life, much less waltz. And I'm also horrible at this math assignment, and I was wondering if-"

"God, close your mouth, Richard. Walk home with me tomorrow, and we'll call it even."

"Sure...wait, but how is someone, me of all people, walking home with you making up for helping me."

"Let's just say that the walk to my place isn't the most enjoyable walk."

And that was it. Before I knew it, she was gone.

•••

"Hey. We still on for today? If we ever were..." Gina approached me at my locker the next day. Once again, I'd never heard her talk so much.

"What does that mean?" I asked. "I mean, yes, we're still on, but why wouldn't we be?"

"I mean, I didn't know if you asking was just out of pity, you know?"

"Oh come on, Porter. Lots of people here appreciate you. I'm sure you've got tons of people drooling over you and wanting to hang out."

"I don't know about the drooling part, but sure."

"What do you mean?" We've now made it out of the school.

"I just mean that this," She moves her hands around to emphasize her body and appearance "this isn't what guys are looking for."

"And how do you know that?"

She shrugs.

"Exactly. Not all guys are looking for the same thing. Some are looking for a lot of things, some are looking for nothing in particular. I speak from experience. You need to be kinder to yourself."

"Whatever. Let's just keep going."

•••

"Yeah, so this is my place."

I just looked at her, hoping the concern wasn't evident on my face.

"What'd you expect? A tower with a fence and gargoyles."

"Ehh, kinda." I laughed. "No, you're not that scary. This just wasn't what I expected. I'm sure it's really nice on the inside..?"

"Yeah, I don't know about that." She chuckled softly.