Chapter 62

Abhijeet's POV

The past continues

"Why didn't you stop her?"

Acha patted on my cheek at my question with a sarcastic smile directed at himself

"With what right? I was ashamed to the core knowing the extend of the atrocities my Amma did to her..... By what right I could have stopped her fully knowing how I failed as a husband..... failed....failed to protect her.....failed to stand for her.....failed in all aspects ...I simply stood on the threshold as a coward as my life went away from me. But her parting words still haunts me.....

Krishna, I love you which can make the biggest of the biggest compromise very trivial but the blow to my self respect is one adjustment I am unwilling to make. Hope one day you realise standing for the right doesn't mean you are disrespecting the other person . Goodbye and wish you well....

Today, you showed me Jeet where I failed. I am proud that my son did not repeat my mistake. It took me a while to realise that blindly following your elders is not respect and obedience but fear...."

"So you didn't see her after that day?" asked Ram Chettan

A longing look replaced the guilt as Acha replied,

" I did. I could not let her walk out of my house and life so easily. After a few days, I went by her house to pacify her, to ask her to come back. At one point even she agreed but Amma became the wall between us. She did not relent to Smriti's presence in my life. I did not know how to go against her. I was fighting a loosing battle but still tried. Then something happened which changed everything irrevocably. At a public function, she insulted Smriti's parents so badly that her father suffered a heart attack and passed away. After all the rituals, this time Smriti asked for a divorce. She said nothing can be as before. Even if she comes back as my wife, she will never be a good daughter-in-law and that will later  create problems between us and begrudgingly, I agreed. Because at the end of the day , we were her culprits. We will always be her father's murderers...."

"Then you married Amma"

It was not a question but a cold statement by Raj Chettan.

"Your grandmother had pulled enough strings by then that in the blink of an eye, we were divorced.I was totally broke during that period. Didn't know, more specifically didn't wish to know what was going around me but by the time I gathered myself, Amma had announced my second marriage. I was appalled and wanted to withdraw but it was too late. If I had done so , your Amma would have suffered. It was not like now. People don't take kindly to broken engagements. Whoever may be at fault, ultimate blame is on the girl . So with reluctant mind, I got married again"

"And destroyed my life" Amma spoke furiously

We all turned to her as she continued,

"This man whom you all idolizes was married to me but was in love with that Smriti...." she spat out venomously

"I had so many dreams which got shattered brutally. But do you all see me complaining . I made best out of the situation and give three SONS to the family as I am supposed to . This family is also my sweat and blood, how could I see it get destroyed. Just like my mother-in-law kept this family going, it is my duty to do the same."

"Even if you are wrong..." Acha's voice interrupted Amma's rant

"Wrong....?"

"Yes, WRONG....and what did you say, I shattered your dreams. I begged before you to back out of the marriage. I told you I would shoulder the responsibility but you didn't, why? Because YOUR DREAM was the name of this family. Nothing else mattered, not even when your would be husband said that he will never be able to love you. Then how come I cheated.... At one point in this marriage, I even felt I was doing wrong with you but that was immediately replaced with revulsion when I came to know how you stood with my mother through all her actions against Smriti. Still, I fulfilled all my responsibilities. I respected you as my partner, I cared for you as my sons's mother. I fulfilled all my duties and your wishes. Do you know why? Because MY SMRITI asked me to. I never let anyone know what is the reality between us, not even our sons because that is what she asked me and I would go to any lengths to fulfill my promise to her."

"You met her after our marriage " Amma asked horrified

"Why? Surprised?"Acha asked contemptuously

"Yes, I know .....I know everything....She called for me here few days before our marriage and YOU talked to her.You knew.....you knew but didn't tell me that my Smriti was pregnant with my child......"