Chapter 22

Abhijeet's POV

The door looked daunting. The emotional side of me was urging me to run away from what could be the truth while the sensible part of me advised me to move forward.

Jeet, from what you have told me Chettathi had to go through a lot in her initial days of marriage without any fault of hers. Do you think she is over it?"

This question from Megha has been revolving around my mind from yesterday. I was reeling from a good bout of regret and guilt.

Apart from Raj Chettan, I prided myself on being more closer to Chettathi so it was a bitter pill to swallow when Megha pointed out that maybe Chettathi is not as happy as she depicts.

I was berating myself on why I just blindly accepted that she will be happy on finally receiving the blessings of our parents. I was in guilt over not asking about her feelings.

With all these thoughts for company, I knocked on the door.

" Come in"

I entered to see Chettathi playing with Ammu. She had a serene smile on her lips.

" Abhi...." she looked surprised

"Why are you surprised? Can't I come?"

" Of course you can and as you know you are always welcome"

I sat along with her on the bed gazing at Ammu.

"She is really growing up too fast"

"She should, after all she is going to become a big sister"

I noticed a slight disappointment in her voice which further increased my tension.

She was staring at Ammu but I could see her mind was far away.

I sat in front of her. Ignoring her surprise, I took her hands in mine

"She may be becoming a sister but still she is our baby and always will be"

Her turmoil was clearly visible in her eyes. I took this opportunity to further push her.

" Chettathi, Are you okay? Trust me....if you have any concerns you can share it with me. I can see it in your eyes that there is something which is bothering you. I promise, I will never judge you"

I could see her swaying between the need to tell or not.

" Abhi...."

We both turned to look at Raj Chettan who entered the room just then.

One quick glance at Chettathi was enough to confirm that the moment was lost. She was not going to tell me her concerns at least not today.

" Its been a long time that I had a chat with Chettathi . So came to spend time with her and the angel" I replied to his unvoiced question.

" Great.... then take some time to spend with your brother too . Its been a long time that we just sit down and had a chat. You wait, I will freshen up and come. Anita, you bring our tea here only"

As Chettan disappeared into the washroom, I turned to Chettathi

" Chettathi...."

" I am okay , Abhi. You are unnecessarily thinking too much. " She said with a smile which never reached her eye.

Before I could speak further, Chettathi made her escape in the pretense of getting us tea.

" Did you talk to her? What did she say?" Megha pounced on me as soon as I entered the room

I just hugged her tightly taking all the comfort she can offer.

" What happened , Jeet?"

I shook my head in negative,

" You were right. There is something bothering Chettathi. I asked her and for a moment there I felt like she will confide in me but then Raj Chettan came and she closed off. "

We both sat there lost in our own thoughts when Megha said,

" Dont worry, Jeet. If not today , we will get to the bottom of this tomorrow "

I palmed my face in frustration as I sat there on bed feeling dejected.

" I am with you. We WILL sort this out"

Megha gave me a beautiful smile but I could see her concern in her eyes.

" I am really scared , Jaan" I whispered

Megha's eyes turned wide on hearing my soft words

" Scared.... what do you mean?"

Releasing an exasperated sigh, I disclosed the information which was creating a havoc inside me

" Appachi is coming"

" WHAT....! WHY?"

" Hearing about the pregnancies, she feels like Amma will need more help.... "

" We don't need help. If she comes she will only create more problems. Tell her not to come. " she cut me off adamantly

" Really, so what will I tell . Appachi, my wife thinks you may create problems so please don't come here. Come on , Jaan , be practical" I responded sarcastically

" Jeet..."

I could understand her apprehension as similar thoughts were plaguing my mind too.

" I know , Jaan. Why do you think I am worried. After hearing her last time, my heart is agitated thinking about what trouble she may unleash. Already Chettathi is disturbed and bottling up so much inside, I don't want Appachi to increase her woes." I gentled my tone while voicing out my fears

"NO,JEET. WE WILL NOT LET ANYTHING HAPPEN TO OUR HOME. NOONE CAN DESTROY OUR HEAVEN" Megha replied with determination

I stared at her, absorbing the courage to face the dilemma in front of us.

What lay ahead is not a simple task. Appachi is set in her own ways, even though she may not wish anything bad upon us, her words have the ability to cut anyone deeply.

I am not worried about Megha or anyone else for that matter because they are capable enough to handle Appachi but my main concern is Anita Chettathi.

If it was any other time, I could relax but now.....Wrong words at the wrong time can destroy even the mightiest. With emotions running so high, I don't want her actions to cause any kind of pain to her.

I pulled Megha into my embrace and as she cuddled into me, I vowed silently to protect my own. Oblivious to the fact, I was making promises which I myself have to break in the future.

Unaware of the big storm coming our way which WILL wreck our lives and family into smithereens, we held onto each other for comfort....