Chapter 41

Megha's POV

Recollecting the past was never easy. Opening myself to the wounds again have left me completely drained out.
This time even the sound of the gentle breeze was not soothing me as it usually does but instead was making me more edgy.

"You were the best friend anyone could ask for but... I failed. I was not able to see the pain you were in" Meera's voice filled with self blame reached me breaking me away from my thoughts.

"No, Meera.... It is not the truth but in fact the opposite. You helped me a lot in overcoming the agony I was facing" I put a stop then and there before she could go into her guilt mode but still I saw the disappointment on her face.

Releasing an exhausted sigh, I placed my head on Meera’s lap.

Her fingers automatically worked it's way around my hairs providing instant relief to the agitation in my heart.

" I am scared...scared to go back to the place where I lost my everything..... I don't have the strength to face the same people who are the very reason of my anguish" I spoke out my deepest fear.

I knew for a fact whether I like it or not,  she will always direct me towards the correct path and I was proven right by her next words

"Being scared doesn't mean you are not strong, on the contrary it validates your strength. You do not step back from doing the right thing even when your fear has a tight grip on your heart.... Don't take me wrong, Megha , I listened to what you said but have you thought that there may be another side to the story. I myself have learnt a hard lesson how silence can destroy relationships. Once I accepted what dished out to me as fate and it took me 8 long years to understand that I didn't deserve it. Don't  repeat my mistakes"

"Your case was different "

" Yes but the underlying fact is the same. Instead of facing the problem, I turned silent while you ran away. This is your second chance, Megha. Who knows, maybe these few days of  struggle will give you a lifetime of happiness"

" I have stopped dreaming the moment I lost my Mehul"

I couldn't hide my despair as I recalled HIM.

The earlier torment returned with twice it's strength.  I got up and started pacing, not able to sit still.

" How is Mehul?"

I looked at Meera with pain as a lone tear escaped my eye. It was the first time someone had asked me about HIM directly.

"Megha...." I could hear Meera but I was not able to respond.  I was lost in the ghosts of the past.

"You are allowed to cry"

I was already on the brink of breakdown so it was no wonder when the gentleness in her tone with the comforting hand on my back tipped me over.

I clung onto Meera as I poured out all my pain.

Don't know how long but I was completely exhausted by the time my tears dried up.

Meera passed me a glass of water.

"Better?"

I passed a sad smile while taking the glass of water.

"I am a coward, Meera. I didn't have it  in me to ask about HIM. In retrospect, Jeet is the better parent. He took care of the surgery and also made sure that he got the proper post surgical care. Even now,  he keeps tabs on him to ensure that he does not want for anything. Sometimes I feel sad for him  but sometimes happy that he is still in that orphanage.  Those times I hate myself for being so selfish" I said with self loathe

"If you know this , then why are you letting this chance slip from your hands. Time has changed you for the better. Go and fight for what is yours and this time don't back down. "

Later that day

I gazed at the barren night sky.It was highlighting my emotions coursing through me.

Before I could ponder further, I was embraced from behind by two familiar arms.

"We are so lucky to have such beautiful  friends"

I smiled knowing fully what has brought this change in Jeet. I turned in his arms and wrapped my arms around his neck

We both were looking in each other's eyes, speaking a language  of our own.  The eyes which were filled with trepidation, few hours back was now brimming with hope.

" I second that" I replied with a brilliant smile of my own

"I want to move forward and complete my family , Jeet, and this time I will fight tooth and nail to make this the reality"

"Not I but We"

With an understanding smile on our face, we turned towards the sky which is now adorned with a single bright star.