Chapter 50

Megha's POV

"Chettathi,  our family has been torn apart by misunderstandings and miscommunications and only the truth can set us free.....To gather the shattered pieces, you need to  break your silence"  I spoke wistfully before her

While speaking, Chettan's words were echoing in my head

"Raj Chetta, what do you mean?"

"I am saying the truth. You can try all you want but it is not easy to make her speak. I have been trying for the past couple of years but she just...." he trailed off with an exasperated sigh but then with a determined  voice continued,

" There is only one way, we have to goad her to talk....pleading, guilt trip, sympathy card,provoking....whatever works"

Keeping those thoughts in mind, I moved forward with our agenda.

"I know I hurt you real bad and don't expect your forgiveness as I have done the very crime that I hate....erasing the foundation of every relationship by distrusting you....... Then, I was not able to see beyond my pain and now the shadow of truth have turned it into an unending agony"

Whatever may be our objective, I was actually speaking from heart relieving the weight it has been carrying.

"Maybe I deserve it but spare the others....please Chettathi......I also know one sorry doesn't wipe away our mistakes but still I pray you to give us a chance....I am really sor...."

I was instantly cut off  by Chettathi herself

" Why are YOU apologising and to whom? You reacted to the facts presented before you and I never blamed you for it. In truth, I should apologize because knowingly or unknowingly I became YOUR culprit . Don't accumulate more to MY sins by apologising"

"But...."

"No buts, Megha. Trust is not given , it is earned. Even after 6 years, if questions can be raised on my loyalty, then the problem somewhere lies in me not you who have know me for even much lesser time"

Though she said it so matter of factly, the underlying hurt was evident for everyone to hear and the most affected was Raj Chettan.

Guilt, Regret , Anguish .....each of these emotions were blatantly clear on his face .

"You always had our trust,Chettathi but sometimes in pain we tend to blast out on those who are close to our heart,than others , because only they matter. We give them our trust so blindly that a small misstep and we turn the molehill into a mountain. Our rationality just goes out the window. In shielding ourselves from further pain, we go into an attacking mode not realising those arrows are directed to our own. Today or later , it will come to hurt us only"  Jeet lamented

" Angadiyil thottal ammayodo (Translation:Taking out one's frustration over one incident on someone else). That's what we did. Hearing just pieces, we didn't question the authencity and just..." I trailed off

" Megha, Abhi leave it. Let the sleeping dogs lie. Rehashing the past won't do anybody any favors. I also did mistakes and I am now trying to redeem it "

"That's where you are wrong, Chettathi.  The past is still dictating our present so how can we ignore. We all need a proper closure....You say you made a mistake and we say we all did the mistake of believing that you are the reason Mehul is not part of this family...." I stopped for impact and then put forth the question that should have been asked years ago.

"Half truths are even more dangerous than a lie. It misleads and destroys us. Mehul was not your mistake otherwise you would not have become his Angel, then what was your mistake?"