Chapter 7

Megha's POV

There was utter silence.  It was like nobody knew what to say and what not to.

I was numb. His confession was like a big slap on my face. A single tear fell from my eye as I realized that unknowingly  I became the reason for my sister's pain. I looked over at Meenu Chechi who was crying hiding her face in the crook of our Amma's neck.

" I know it is sudden but love doesn't see the time . It just sees the person and my heart identified  yours to be the one, Megha"

His each words were like a stab to my heart and my anger rose.

" Take your time.... I will wait for you even if it is for lifetime because I have fallen deeply madly passionately  in love with you"

Listening to him profess his love in front of my sister whose heart he broke mercilessly was the last straw

I grabbed him by his collar . This made  everyone else spring into action. His brothers on his side and my sister on mine tried, tried being the operative word, to release him from me but  in vain.

" What do you think of yourselves? After dangling my sister for years , you  have the audacity to come here and propose ME....ME. I knew , a person who couldn't accept his girlfriend infront of his parents, will be despicable  but I believed in my sister's choice. My sister is so naive that she fell for the wolf in lamb's clothing. You have no idea what you have unleashed.I already told you what I will do if you don't marry my sister" I was unable to control my fury as I lashed at him and he deserved it.

He began to sputter something which was unclear due to my hold on him

" Leave him , Megha .... You are suffocating  him. " I loosened my hold on hearing Chechi but still did not leave him

"I am not that tasty, you know" he gave me a nervous smile

Seeing him joking at this situation, I saw red.

Pulling him close to my face, I said

" Don't worry, I will put enough masala to disguise your hideous taste"

His eyes widened in fear on my statement

"What he did is wrong but two wrongs do not make right" his brothers advised

"Megha, Let it be....We can't force anyone to love. I just wish for his happiness" Meenu Chechi said

" See .... this is my sister. Even after you trampled her heart, she thinks of you. How could you do this to her and most importantly how did you thing that after your so called act , I will entertain YOU. You know, what is the actual TRUTH? YOU DON'T  DESERVE HER....."

Before I could carry on with my rant, Chechi cut me off

" Megha.... Relax...."

"Come on , Megha . We can sit, talk and sort this out"

" Talk .... you want to talk..... After breaking my sister's heart , do you really think I will bear the same air as you breathe. If it was upto me you will not be even breathing. Nobody gets away by hurting my sister" 

With each passing second, along with my sound my temper was also rising.

Suddenly my sister hugged me tight and I looked to see a sheen of tears in her eyes.

" Why are you crying? He is the one who should cry..." I said the last statement pointing my finger at him.

But my sister didn't leave me , if I may say she hugged me more tightly and began mumbling sorry in my ears.

" Why are you sorry? " I yelled in frustration

I turned to look at Amma and Acha who were giving us a proud smile , then I looked at the rest after which I got myself free from my sisters hold . Then really looked at my sister who had a sad smile on her face.

" You are the reason for everything "

My sudden statement surprised everyone.  Taking this opportunity, I took my grandfather's  stick placed on the stand nearby and started going near Abhi.

Author's POV

Abhi became apprehensive and began to move back with each forward step of Megha in his direction.

" What are you doing?"

" Did you really think that I will leave you after the stunt you just pulled? No way" Megha snickered

" Megha.... look that will hurt" Abhi said pointing towards the walking stick

" That is the general idea"

" Meena, make your sister understand"  Abhi pleaded

" Meg..."

" No Chechi( Sister) . You are so good that you don't PLAY with anyone while people like him take advantage of that. They need to be taught a lesson"

Listening to Megha, Meena could only gulped down the lump in her throat.

Abhi's eyes widen in fear and he turned to the two people who MAY help him.

" Uncle , Aunty ...Please make your daughter understand , violence is not a solution"

" Amma .... Acha....you don't interfere. You really want to let this man go free after he hurt your daughter"

" I agree with you , Megha"

It was Abhi's brother, Ram who have spoken

" You are responsible  for what is happening  nows I think like a man you should bear the punishment "

Abhi's face was a sight to be seen on hearing his brother supporting  Megha.

"We can understand  your emotions, Megha . After all we will also be angry if some one hurts anyone in our family. Even though it hurts us to say, he deserves what is coming at him" his elder brother also pledged his support to Megha.

Abhi could only stare between his brothers on their last minute betrayal with wide eyes and open mouth.

" Ammmaaaa....." he yelled  on receiving the first blow from Megha.

" Megha ... ..." Megha's mother  shouted

" Dont stop her, Lakshmi. After all my son is only getting his due for what he did to Meena. I am so disappointed in him. " It was Abhi's mother who came out in support this time.

What followed for the next 10 minutes was a cat and mouse chase between Megha and Abhi. While some members of family were trying to hold in their laughter, some were worried while others were openly laughing at the scene in front of their eyes.

"Leave him , Megha. I think this much punishment  is enough" Anita, Raj's wife interfered, taking pity on Abhi.

" Thank you , Chettathi( Sister-in -law) . Only you care about me .." saying this Abhi glared at his family

" Hmmmm... Fine....So now are you ALL ready to tell me the TRUTH" Megha asked with raised eyebrows, hands on her hips and a smirk on her face.