Chapter 31

Abhijeet's POV

I was not prepared for the sight that greeted me as I entered the room.

Megha was sitting on the floor with no emotions on her face. She had her knees clutched tightly to the chest.

My heart shattered seeing the lost look in her eyes. Wiping away the lone tear, I prepared my heart for a painful journey.

" Jaan..." I whispered

Silence

"I am sorr..y....." My voice trembled

Still silence

"I was...ju..st...." I couldn't continue as I stared at her with tear filled eyes

More silence

I had expected her to lash out but her silence has thrown me for a loop. It is terrifying me seeing my Jaan so silent.

I held her face in my hands and shook her.

" Jaan... Please say something.... You are scaring me.....Please........ Jaan.....JAAN....JAAN"

No response.

My heart pinched seeing her condition. She was in front of me but still far away. I was not able to reach her and that single thought frightened me to death.

"Please Jaan , don't pun.. ish me...li..ke th..is. "

Each second watching her being so impassive was crushing me. My one mistake may cost me my life and I broke down in sobs.

" I am.... so.....sorry....Never in my dreams I imagined that .....my....my one....mis....mistake will....ha..ve....such a ..cata..stro...phic...consequences" I sobbed out in anguish as I  bowed my head onto her knees while keeping a tight grip on her hands.

" Why?"

If I have not been waiting eagerly to hear her voice, maybe I would have missed the soft whimper.

I looked at her which was now reflecting multiple emotions.

Anger.....

Hurt......

Pain......

Guilt.....

Her each reaction was justified but I was not able to understand why guilt? If anyone should be, then it is me.

I tried to speak but words just betrayed me. What could I say that will erase the hurt? How will I explain that I regret placing trust on a person who didn't  deserve it ?

Instead I looked deeply into her eyes hoping that she will be able to read me as she always does.

How long we sat there, staring at each other, I don't have any idea but the eyelock broke  when a big fat drop made its way past her eye.

" Jaa..." I tried to whip it away when she caught my hand in middle.

With a shake of her head, for the first time, she stopped me from consoling her.

It broke something in me.

" I am hurt , Jeet. Hurt bad....Not because you went to the mall with Priya but because you LIED to me. Whatever may have been your good intention....but YOU LIED." She finally broke her silence

The quiet words echoed  around the room.

Each words were like knife to my heart but I took it in stride as she was right

"I always warned you about her but you used to take it as my jealousy and dismissed my concerns in a joke and today she took one of the painful moments of our life and made a joke out of it"  she remembered  painfully