Chapter 64

Abhijeet's POV

It has been a couple of days to the huge revelation.  The home which once housed laughter now look dry and barren.

I looked towards the man who was staring at the void in front, aimlessly.  I don't know whether I should sympathise with him or be angry at him . The man who taught me to stand for right, failed miserably when it was his turn to do the right.

How could he play happy family on the broken shards of another? How was he able to love us when his only daughter was deprived of the same? How did he smile if his heart was crying with remorse? These questions are making me restless.

Thinking back to the times, I could in retrospect see the chinks in their relationship.  Yes, they were good parents. I have no complaints from him nor from Amma in that matter but I haven't ever seen them talking lovingly,  respectfully, yes but not ever lovingly.  So what were we? A family living under a false facade.

A gentle hand on my shoulder brought me out of my thoughts. I turned to see my brothers flocking my sides.

"We can't delay the matter, Abhi?" Raj Chettan  advised

I released an exasperated sigh and nodded in agreement.

"Is it necessary for me to be here?" Ram Chettan suddenly asked. His voice was full of irritation and suppressed anger.

"Ram...."

The warning tone of Raj Chettan was enough to shut him into silence for which I was grateful at the present moment.

With jelly legs, I walked towards the man I have idolized from childhood.

As i reached him, I  took a seat by his side while Raj Chettan took his other side. Ram Chettan stood aloof but ignoring it for the moment, I concentrated on the matter at hand.

"Acha...."

"I know I have dissappointed all of you. There is no justification to my actions but believe me children,  each second of my life have  from then been dedicated to redeem myself of my sins"

Acha interrupted with all the pent up emotions in him.

Not able to forgive him so easily, I asked bitterly,

"Will any action of mine absolve me of the crime if I killed a man?"

More than my question , I could see he was hurt by my tone. He looked at me broken but I hardened my heart to the soft plea.

He may have thousands of reasons but it does not justify his actions towards Smriti Amma.

"There is no explanation, I know, except I was a spineless coward who couldn't stand for his love instead bowed down before his Amma.... To keep one person happy, I destroyed everyone's lives. You all maybe feeling indignant on behalf of your Amma and I will not blame you for the same" Acha lamented as drop by drop tears made down his cheek.

I fisted my hand to prevent it from leaning forward to wipe away that pearls of regret. His tears were getting to me but at the same time, I wanted to let him know of the emotional storm  we were going through.

Even though it was difficult for me to express my turmoil but Raj Chettan didn't have any qualms in conveying his.

"We are not, at least, not on behalf of Amma" Raj Chettan's voice rang out

"She made her own bed. She was aware she was getting into a loveless marriage... but what I can't wrap around my head is you....You proclaim you love Smriti Amma then how can you put up this act in front of us all these years. Either you never truly loved Smriti  Amma or ...." Chettan trailed off