Chapter 53

Author's POV

"I am upset with you, Abhi. Who leaves home for such a small matter.... Anyway leave the past behind....Finally you are back that is all that counts" Appachi said while doing chants to get rid off evil eye.

Not able to withstand the unfolding drama, Anita retreated to her room. She was lost in her own thoughts when her voice reverberated around the room.

"Won't you celebrate this happy occasion with us?"

Anita turned to see the person whom she once respected but now all that is left behind is a feeling of pity and some amount of disgust.

"You think you have won?" Anita asked witnessing the victorious smirk on her face.

"Don't you ? Of course you do.... Your long face is testimony to that. " she replied sarcastically

"Do you know what was your problem, Anita? You thought of me as a villain but in reality I was only looking after the welfare of my family" she continued while strolling inside the room

"Welfare.... how come separating Abhi and Megha be good for them? Please.... don't justify your vile acts. Better you sort yourself out before anyone comes to know about your true face" Anita retorted

" If you are so hell bent on making me the villain then why haven't you revealed my so called true face to everyone?" she questioned mockingly

"I would have and I wanted to on many occasions but thought of these brothers hurt faces have stopped me from taking that step"

She scoffed at Anita, indifferent to her words of wisdom.Knowing that her advice was falling on deaf ears, Anita still persisted

" Pray to God that the truth never comes in front of them . If it does, not only will it break them but it will scar them for life. They will loose TRUST in relationships. So it will be better you stop your games now and I will forget about the past"

"You are so naive ,Anita, if you think I will get scared by your empty threats. You really underestimate me. "

Anita could only stare at her sadly while finally stating,

"This is going to end very badly"

" You are being very pessimistic. More than you, I know my family and how their mind works and by the by what crime did I exactly do?....... Even dissatisfied, I was trying to accept the reality when that accident destroyed every hope. How could I sit back seeing Abhi's dream shatter? "

Anita saw the fury behind her eyes and rage in her tone. Her voice was also increasing with each statement.

"When I learned that Megha could never become a mother, I decided then and there, Abhi has to move on. I brought Priya for that explicit purpose but my plan backfired . But it didn't break MY resolution. I was just biding my time. Then came the biggest shock of my life. They wanted to adopt Mehul...Mehul....that orphan. I knew Megha was behind everything and Abhi like a love sick puppy was dancing to her cues....What wrong did I do by preventing bad blood from mixing with my own? "

Anita gazed at her appalled and asked incredulously ,

"How could you call an innocent child by these despicable names? Dont you have any empathy left in you?"

She sneered and answered back in full arrogance, not at all remorseful either for the acts or words uttered.

"We are descendants of great noblemen and I won't allow NO ONE ....I repeat...NO ONE to mar it. I don't regret what I have done and never will and if I have to do it again, I won't think twice"

Anita watched aghast at the sadistic mentality of the person in front. Before she could react, a broken voice from behind left her petrified.

"Amma...."