Fabrics & Parfum - Chapter 24

DAPHNE

I wasn't born rich, and I'm still not rich at my age of 20.
Which in other words means, I either gain rich or stay poor. I'm young, I know that. I'm still studying, and being a student in New York is like choosing to be in debt forever.

'Just pick whatever you want' Anjel says. His attention is not on me, instead he's looking at his phone doing god knows what. Maybe talking to his lovely fiancé about how he's taking another woman shopping to high-end stores.

Hilarious.

I turn over a tag on one of the dresses and my eyes felt like they could pop out of my socket.

'Six thousand dollars?!' I gasp.

This is outrageous. How could anyone give that much money for a loose fabric stitched up with thin thread?

Like my mom used to say; you can make it at home with some bed sheets and a little love.

I stare at the dress for a few seconds more, running my hands through the soft fabric as I daydream about how it would sit on my body. Who am I kidding? This dress is absolutely gorgeous.

If I had the 6000 dollars, I probably wouldn't of complained about it.

'We'll buy it' Anjel says to the woman behind me. I whip my head around and look at him in shock.

'What...no. That's too much-'
He rolls his eyes and stands up from the leather couch that's across the mirror.
The woman who was helping me decide on a dress nods and leaves the changing room, leaving me and anjel to be all alone.

'Anjel-' I sigh.

'Shhhh' he mutes me. I shake my head and look down at the floor.
'I want to buy that dress for you'

I look up at him. His eyes already staring into mine.
'But why?' I question him.

I'm curious. Why does he suddenly find the need to do all these nice things to me?

Is this one of his phases again?

Of course it is. Once I give into his temptation, he's going to turn cold and run back to his fiancé, like always.

'I think you'll look...'
I feel heat all over my body as he looks me up and down.

'Good' he says the simple word like it's poison in his mouth.

Good?

Is that it? He decides to buy me a 6000 dollar dress because he thinks it'll look good on me?
I don't know what I was expecting. In the back of my mind I was expecting him to tell me he wants to buy it for me because I would look beautiful in it. Like i'm his girl type of dress. One that would stand out enough to make me look like I'm actually apart of him. But no.

But...I really shouldn't expect anything from a man who has a fiancé.

I simply nod at him and turn my back to him. Even with a room full of mirrors, I am able to hide my feelings visibly away from him.
I look at my body and analyse like it's a book I'm trying to annotate.

I'm finding all the small things about myself physically and comparing it to his fiancé.

My boobs are smaller than hers. My stomach sticks out more than hers. I'm shorter. My waist is no way near her thin waist. I have dark features; My hair, my eyes, my eyebrows...everything is darker than her light blonde features. My eyes are doe whilst hers is siren. Her face is slicked like a perfectly sculpted piece of art whilst my face is oval.