Red - Chapter 33

DAPHNE

[2 months later...]

'So I told him that I didn't want the drink until she gave me permission'

What has my last 2 months come to?

Here I am, sat down at a random rustic bar, with my 3rd date this month, wearing a cheetah print dress with sleek black heels, listening to him talk about his mother. Well more like how he's a mommas boy.

I'm cut off from all thoughts as soon as loud laughter echoes around me. I'm trying hard not to cringe but I can't help the expression showing clearly on my face.
And no, I'm not cringed out because of his loud laugh, I'm cringing because he found the story about not being able to drink without his mother's permission this hilarious.

I knew boredom would finally catch up to me, because now..I'm regretting ever going on a dating spree.

I don't think it's me to blame here, more like it's anjel I should blame.

Or maybe I am the blame....

All humour aside, especially Joseph's mommas boy story.
I haven't been able to get anjel out of my mind. Ever since I left Manhattan out of the blue from his request, nothing has been more haunting than the thought of him.

Every-time I look at my fridge, I'm haunted by the thought of anjel. Every-time I pass by that alleyway where I first met him, I'm haunted by him.

What else could possibly happen for me to be yet again triggered by the thought of him?

'And for the lady, a visage d'ange'
Goosebumps rise all over my arms when I hear the last word.

Ange

'I actually won't be drinking anymore, thank you' I say to the waiter. The waiter nods and I turn my attention back to Joseph. 'I apologise if I spoke too soon. I just thought you should try one of the most amazing drinks they serve here' he looks at me with sorrowful eyes. I give him a weak smile of reassurance. 'No worries, I'm just not feeling alcohol today' I look down at my untouched strawberry mocktail.

'I see...' there's a silence that passes between us for a few seconds before he takes in a sharp breath.
'I'm having a lot of fun tonight, however I worry that you might not feel the same' his hands reach over to touch my resting hand. With his gentle thumb grazing along my knuckles, I remove my hands away from his touch, placing both my hands down on my lap. His face looks visibly disappointed and I'm now starting to feel bad for wasting his time knowing that I only agreed to this date to clear my mind.

'I am having fun' I lie.
'Especially hearing your stories, it's definitely something...' I chuckle awkwardly.
His face lights up in a grin. 'I'm so glad. Not a lot of people like to listen to me, they say I'm a...what's that saying?' He waves his hands in hopes he remembers the word he forgot. 'Mamas boy?' I say. He snaps his fingers with a loud 'yes' which makes everyone at the bar turn their heads to look at him.

'Yes! They call me a mamas boy. However..I don't think i am'

You definitely are Joseph.

I wish I could tell him, but i hate being rude.

'Well, it doesn't matter what people think..I guess' I take my first sip of my strawberry mocktail.
'You're right, but I care about what you think, so how about we leave this boring place and hit somewhere that's actually fun?' The word fun intrigues me everytime I hear it. Now that Joseph has mentioned it, I wonder what he has in mind.

........

When driving into a busy street that looks like vegas on the weekend, I never expected to be taken to a club.