Overheard

Jake's POV:

I had just gone off the phone with Tina, who apparently was having the time of her life stuck in that cabin with Dave.

Can't blame her, can I?

If I got to have a romantic getaway with Tris I'd be extremely happy too.

Except I'm not sure we'd get a getaway soon, nor do we have anything romantic going on.

Tina assures me I'm wrong, and deep down, I believe her. All that tension between Prior and I can't just be sexual, or flirt. There's got to be some chemistry. Please.

I was about to leave my room, but as I was putting my hand on the closed door's handle, I heard muffled voices down the hallway.

Tris was in Tina's room, where she spent the night. Again. (I absolutely love it).

She had her friend from New York, Camilla, on speaker. The walls here aren't so soundproof that I'd like them to be, but it helped me catch a glimpse of their cheerful conversation.

"I'm not sure, but I had the realization not so long ago", Tris says. I can hear the smile behind her voice.

"Gosh Bea this is good!! Now, tell me more. How handsome is he!?"

My heart sank. I take a sharp step back. No way I listen to more of that.

God, I feel so pathetic. Of course she had a crush on somebody else! She's not obligated to tell me in the first place, so why am I so surprised? Worse, why am I that disappointed?

This was a rhetorical question. Of course I know why. I love the woman, and I overheard her tell her best friend about another guy.

I put my headphones on and decide to play along on my guitar.
This can distract me a little, I guess.

~~

Incorrect. The guitar didn't distract me that much.
First, my headphones died. So I could no longer fill my ears with music. Which leads me to second, I kept hearing Camilla and Tris' chit chat. Even though I know she tried to keep it down, the walls are thin, and I would occasionally hear their laughs. Usually her laugh would warm my chest, bring a smile to my face.

But tonight, knowing the laugh is directed to some other guy out there... that just overwhelmed me with emotions I wasn't ready to deal with. 

Instead, I send a few quick texts on my phone, get out of my room, and climb down the stairs.

But Tris shows up at the top of the stairs, a small smile on her lips.

"Whoa, you seem in a hurry. Where are you goin?"

I don't meet her eyes, and focus on putting on my shoes instead.

"Out", I answer. 

My vague response hangs in the air. I still wasn't looking at her.

"Okay... Uh, I guess I'll go home, then." her response had a slight change in tone, and I could feel her gaze following me around as I traveled the living room looking for my keys.

I find them quickly and head to the door without a word. For some reason, I felt as though I locked eyes with her the bubble in my chest will burst. The pain was enough already.

"Wait!" she calls up. The door was just a few inches away from closing. Damn it.

"Should I.. lock up or something?" she asks.

  I shrug. "If you want".

And then I close the door, and turn my back to the house.

I start feeling tears rising.

It doesn't seem like I'll ever have a chance with her.