CH | 22

Mayra groaned when the sun kissed her cheeks and she lazily rubbed her eyes before opening them. When her gaze landed on the other side of the bed, Ishaan was nowhere to be seen, and for a second, she was relieved.

However, the sound of her mobile ringing caught her attention. She instantly picked it up from the nightstand beside her and when her eyes took in it was Mihir calling her, she almost had a headache because she didn't let him know that she was not coming home for the night.

Knowing his overprotective brother, he massaged her temples and finally lifted the call at the last ring. She muttered, her voice raspy as she had just barely woken up, "Hey Mihir."

"Why aren't you home yet, Mayra?" Mihir growled as he initially thought she was doing a night shift or something at the restaurant when she was not back by her usual time.

With that, he drove to the restaurant she previously worked, only to know she already left it a few days ago. And he was surprised at first, but pissed off later!

Because she didn't say a thing to him!

Alright, he can understand that she didn't want him to worry and get sick, but then again, what sort of a brother he would be if he didn't even know where she was working and how she was doing?

So, even though he was upset, he dialed her number, only to hear her mobile is switched off!

Throughout the night, he was anxious, worried that something might happen to her, and anyhow, something indeed did happen to her!

Isn't it?

Hearing his question, Mayra didn't know what to say for a second and ended up blurting, "I'm at a friend's house, Mihir. I'm sorry I didn't let you know earlier. Are you alright?"

"Is it a boy or a girl?" Mihir asked, catching her off guard and she raised her brows in confusion and muttered, "uh, it's a girl, Mihir. Why would I stay at a boy's house?"

"That's good then. Don't be foolish and sleep with anyone randomly, Mayra. My sister only deserves the best man in the world!" Mihir exclaimed when she choked on her saliva, wondering what had gotten to him, and couldn't help but ask, "why are you acting weird so early today?"

"Heh, because I thought you were with your boyfriend and forget to come home!" Mihir teased, and Mayra's eyes went wide.

"Wait, what? Boyfriend? Me? Come on, Mihir, you know me better than that." Mayra scoffed, and her hands turned into fists as if she was ready to give him a good beating if he was with her.

"Yes, yes, I know. But why didn't you tell me you left your old job, Sweetheart?" Mihir queried as they were pretty much best buddies as far as he was aware.

Did anything change between them?

If so, when?

He didn't know!

Because he would of course tell her first if anything of that sort happens as she was his only family, and he was hers!

So when he thought of her keeping secrets from him, he was upset, yet he couldn't show it because he know what she did was for his well-being.

Yet he couldn't help himself but feel low.

Call him old-fashioned, but when you're left with your only twin in the world, and poverty is eating you up, while being a patient was a bonus, he ended up like that!

"I just don't want to add more burdens to you, Mihir. I know you're already worried enough about your gaming app. Moreover, I already got a new job. So, can you please chill now?" Mayra said, feeling guilty because she never thought of hiding it from him, but somehow one thing led to another, and she hid it from him.