CHAPTER EIGHT: I KNOW YOU

Derek drives the 3 of us to 'Beacons Crossing Home' - a long term care facility, and somewhere I'd never been before

Derek drives the 3 of us to 'Beacons Crossing Home' - a long term care facility, and somewhere I'd never been before. We all followed him down the hall, and he grabbed onto a handle of one of the patients doors. I had no idea exactly why we were here but from the fact this was supposed to be proof the Argent's were bad, and we were at a long term care facility - I had figured out the obvious.

Derek pushed the door open, to the dimly lit room, and as we stepped inside I noticed there was a man sat down in a wheel chair in front of us. Only, when we walked in he didn't turn or even acknowledge our presence. In fact, he was sat still - very still. We moved in front of him, and it became clear he wasn't going to move at all and I realised he was catatonic.

"That's...creepy." Stiles stated.

Scott looked at Derek. "Who is he?"

"My uncle. Peter Hale." Derek tells us, looking solemnly at the man in the chair, and I honestly feel bad for him. Whatever had happened to his uncle, I wasn't sure of - maybe something to do with the fire that had happened? But it must hurt so much to see someone you love in that position.

"What happened to him?" I question, slightly softening my voice as my eyes briefly met his.

Derek looks from me back to his uncle. "Four years ago, my sister and I were at school. Our house caught fire. Eleven people were trapped inside. He was the only survivor."

I then realised what he was getting at - the Argents had set it alight. Or at least, he thought so

Scott furrows his brows. "What makes you so sure that they set the fire?"

"Cause they're the only ones that knew about us." He tells us.

And I believed him. After seeing how the Allison's aunt had shot him for no reason, or how they'd almost killed Scott until Derek came when he had first been bit, them setting a house with werewolves inside of it made complete sense to me.

"Then they had a reason." Scott states. It was moments like this where Scott was starting to bug me. Why was he trying to justify the murder of 10 people?

Derek looked over at Scott with furrowed brows. "Like what? You tell me what justifies this." 

He then grabbed the wheelchair holding his uncle, and spun it around to reveal his half burnt face, his face swollen and melted clearly from the fire.

"Ok, next time can you give a warning please?" Stiles grimaces, turning his head.

Derek stepped back. "They say they'll only kill an adult and only with absolute proof. But there were people in my family that were perfectly ordinary in that fire. This is what they do. And it's what Allison will do."

In that moment, I fully understood him - why he was the way he was. He begun to make complete sense to me - why he was so closed off and cold, why he was barely willing to accept my help earlier today or tell me anything, why he'd been acting like an asshole. And I felt really sorry for him, I mean on top of his sister just dying too. Had this guy ever had a fleeting moment of joy since the fire happened?