CHAPTER THIRTY SIX: FOUR'S A WARRANT

"So this kid's the real killer?" My dad asks, looking down at the year book on my brother's desk where he had now circled Matt's picture in red and his name

"So this kid's the real killer?" My dad asks, looking down at the year book on my brother's desk where he had now circled Matt's picture in red and his name. After leaving the party, the three of us had raced back to mine and Stiles' house, and told our dad mostly everything. Everything bar the supernatural elements of the crimes.

Stiles nodded, sat down besides Scott, my dad and I. "Yeah."

My dad, however, shook his head. "No."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Yes."

My dad folded his arms, looking between the two of us. "No."

"Dad, come on," Stiles rises from his seat. "everybody knows that the police look for ways to connect the victims in a murder, ok? So, all you have to do it, like, look through the transcripts and figure out which class they all had in common."

"Yeah, except for the fact that the rave promoter, Kara, wasn't in Harris' class." My dad points out.

Stiles rolls his head around. "Alright, ok, you're right. Sorry. Then I guess they dropped the charges against him?"

My dad points his finger up, parting his lips to respond but the words never come to him. "No, you know what? They're not dropping the charges. But that doesn't prove anything. Scott, do you believe this?"

"Oh." Stiles sighs, at the fact he's asking Scott.

"It's really hard to explain how she knew this, but you just gotta trust us. We know it's Matt." Scott tells him.

"Yeah, he took Harris' car, ok? Look, he knew that if a cop found the tire tracks at one of the murders, and then if enough of the victims were in Harris' class, that they'd arrest him!" Stiles' voice slightly raises.

My dad shakes his head. "Alright, fine. I'll allow the remote possibility, but give me a motive. I mean, why would this kid want most of the 2006 swim team and it's coach dead?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Stiles exclaims, raising his arms and I looked at him confused. We hadn't actually discovered a motive yet. We just knew it was him. So I had no idea what he was about to say. "Our swim team sucks! They, haven't won in like 6 years- ok we don't have a motive yet."

"I mean...does Harris?" I add.

My dad slowly nods. "What do you want me to do?"

We all exchange a look, shocked we were able to convince him to do something.

"We need to look at the evidence." Scott leans forward.

"Yeah, that would be in the station where I no longer work." My dad reminds us.

"They'll let you in, dad, everyone likes you there." I tell him.

Stiles nods along. "Yeah, trust us."

My dad raises his brows at the two of us, raising his finger at us. "Trust you two?"

Stiles and I awkwardly look between each other. That was definitely a fair response since we'd been lying to him for the past few months constantly.