CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR: ICE PICK

I lay on my bed, scrolling through my phone to find Derek's new contact information

I lay on my bed, scrolling through my phone to find Derek's new contact information. I'd decided to skip the ice skating outing; the thought of not just third-wheeling, but fifth-wheeling, didn't sound appealing. If I were better friends with Allison or had any connection with Lydia, I might have considered going, but staying home felt like the right choice tonight. After Scott and Allison had reported seeing some new kind of creature, and with the Argent family being a constant threat, quiet nights in were a rare luxury. Besides, I wanted to check in on Isaac and see if he was okay.

I dialed Derek's number, bringing the phone to my ear. For some reason, calling Derek made my stomach churn with nerves. I don't get anxiety a lot, but this was making me extremely anxious. Perhaps the fact that having his phone number, and then him having mine and being on a phone call all felt so...personal.

The phone rang, and just as quickly, the call was cut off. I could almost picture Derek's annoyed face, ending the call as soon as he saw an unfamiliar number. The thought made me smile.

Undeterred, I called again, amused at the idea of annoying him further. This time, he picked up.

"Who the hell is this?" He barked.

"It's Madison." I say.

There was a brief pause before his tone softened. "Madison? How'd you get my number?"

"I got it from Scott. And no, I don't want to talk to you or about how you turned Erica. I'm calling to talk to Isaac." I explain.

"Why?" He simply questions.

I furrow my brows. "Because he's my friend? And I wanna see if he's ok."

Another pause. "I'm looking at him right now and he looks fine to me."

I sigh. "You know you really don't have to be so difficult all the time."

"You're right, I don't. But it's quite fun to." He responds, a hint of amusement in his voice.

The same smile appears on my face. "Hm. Can you pass the phone to Isaac now?"

"Goodbye, Madison." He simple puts and the line then goes quiet and the stupid smile won't leave my face. I didn't know what was going on with me. Why was I stupidly smiling being on the phone with Derek Hale?

"Hello?" The voice was now Isaac's and the stupid smile, thankfully, went away.

I shift on my bed. "Hey, Isaac. It's Madison."

"Hey. How are you?" He quizzes.

I furrow my brows. "How am I? How are you, dummy?"

He lightly chuckles. "I'm fine. Just been staying low in Derek's hideout. He, uh, told me that you're joining the pack."