Chapter 12 - Devotion

1st of May, 2024

Wednesday

Dear diary,

Let me tell you about my day.
————————————————————————--------------------------------

I look over my shoulder and grab my phone from the nightstand. Damn, it's only 6:10 AM. I've been lying here, staring at the ceiling for what feels like forever. My mind just won't shut off.

Today marks the anniversary of my mother's passing. I feel numb. It's hard to believe it's already been a year and a half since I last saw her. Every time I think about it, it feels like a stab to the heart.

We got back to the hotel around 2 AM, and I don't think I slept a single moment. I glance to my left and see Emily and Brianna passed out, cuddled together.

After another five minutes of ceiling-staring, I can't take it anymore. If I stay in bed any longer, I'll go crazy.

I grab my phone and quietly sneak out of the bedroom to my suitcase. I pull out a red bikini and an oversized white blouse. Maybe a dive into the pool will clear my head and snap me out of this funky mood.

I head to the bathroom and change quickly, freshening up before sending a message to the girls that I'm at the pool. I toss my phone aside, grab a pair of large sunglasses—probably Emily's given the size—a book I'm reading, and slip on some sandals. Quietly, I leave the room and step into the hallway.

The hotel is still very quiet, which isn't surprising since it's just before 6:30 in the morning. I encounter only staff, and while their surprised expressions would normally amuse me, I'm too sour to care. I nod politely as I pass them, continuing my way to the pool.

As I step out onto the terrace, I'm surprised to see quite a few people already enjoying their breakfast. They don't seem to notice me, so I walk cross the terrace, through the garden towards the large pool.

I quickly discard my cover-up, toss my belongings onto a lounger, and dive into the pool. The cool water is refreshing this early in the morning.

Floating on my back, I'm enveloped in quietness and peace. It's moments like this when I can completely shut off my mind, hearing nothing but the gentle whirring of the water.

I don't know how long I have been laying in the water, but when I noticed my fingers are starting to get wrinkling and I am shivering, I swim to the side and pull myself out.

I fasten my pace, heading to the outdoor shower, to hoss off the Chlorine. One thing my grandmother always taught me was to shower after the pool, if you want to keep a smooth skin. I don't know if it's true, but it has become a habit.

I mentally curse myself for forgetting to bring a towel. The hotel provides them, but they're located at the top of the stairs.

"Fancy one?" My head snaps around at the familiar voice that has been haunting my thoughts.

I can't hide my astonishment when I see Luca descending the stairs, a towel tucked under his arm. He walks like sex. I've never described anyone that way before, but he sex and sin, mixed with a hint of danger that is both captivating and intriguing.

He slowly circles the pool, stopping a few feet in front of me with a crooked grin on his face. He's dressed in light-colored linen chinos, a burgundy polo, expensive-looking loafers, and sunglasses that hide his piercing blue eyes. It's the most relaxed I've seen him so far.

"You scared the crap out of me," I say softly, running my hand through my wet hair in an attempt to smooth it out.

He chuckles, a sound that sends shivers down my spine. "Sorry, I couldn't help myself," he says, his eyes roaming over my exposed body, making me squirm under his gaze.