Chapter 32 - Eternal city

[2/2]

"Where are we even?" I ask, glancing from Luca to the passing landscape outside the car window. The warm climate suggests we're somewhere sunny, but that's about all I can deduce.

"Rome," he says simply, his attention momentarily drawn to his phone which keeps buzzing. Despite the interruptions, he tries to ignore it.

My head snaps back to him, my eyes wide with astonishment. "You flew me to Rome?" I can't hide my amazement.

Luca lip twitch in amusement, as he seems to like my reaction, his fingers still caressing my hand, he looks back up to me and simply nod.

I blink, trying to process everything. "Why Rome?"

"Because, I haven't been here in a while," his voice smooth, with a slight of arrogance. "And, it's a beautiful city."

The car winds through narrow streets lined with chic boutiques and historic buildings. I take in the sights, the old architecture, each corner revealing another glimpse of the city's charm.

As we drive, Luca's phone buzzes again. He glances at the screen, clearly itching to pick it up but holding himself back. "You can answer if you want," I say softly.

He sighs, brings my hand up to his lips, and gives the back of it a tender kiss. "My apologies, beautiful."

He reluctantly lets go of my hand, picks up his phone, and glances at the screen. His expression darkens slightly, but he quickly tries to mask it. The tension in the car is palpable.

I glance over at Luca, who is fiercely typing on his phone, his frustration growing more evident with each passing second. His jaw is clenched, and the tension in his body is visible. I shift my gaze to the two men in the front of the car—Luciano and Federico. It seems like they are hyper-aware of their surroundings, their eyes constantly scanning, yet they exude an aura of detachment, making themselves almost invisible so as not to disturb Luca. It's a strange, almost symbiotic understanding between them.

I catch Luciano's eye in the rearview mirror, but he quickly looks away, his face returning to its stoic expression. The silence in the car is heavy, filled with the unspoken tension. After a few minutes, unable to bear it any longer, I ask softly, "Is everything alright?"

Luca's fingers pause for a moment over his phone screen. His eyes, wild and intense, meet mine. For a brief second, I see a flicker of something dark before his mask of composure slips back into place, and a closed-mouth smile takes over his face. "Just business," he tries to compose himself, his voice clipped but attempting to sound reassuring. "Nothing that concerns you." he says bluntly.

I nod, feeling a flush of embarrassment for asking. I look away from him and focus on the outside scenery. The car continues its journey through the picturesque streets of Rome, the city bustling with life and charm. The architecture is a stunning blend of historic elegance and modern sophistication, with grand palazzos and contemporary glass structures coexisting harmoniously. The vibrant life of the city, from the lively street cafes to the fashionable boutiques, creates a tapestry of sights and sounds that captivate my attention.

"Madeleine," he says with a sigh, his voice carrying a tone of authority that commands attention. "Look at me."

Reluctantly, I turn my gaze back to him, my curiosity piqued by the shift in his demeanor. His eyes are softer now, yet still filled with a hint of that wild darkness. He reaches out and presses a button, and a partition silently rises between us and the front of the car, separating us from Luciano and Federico and granting us a sense of privacy.

When the partition is closed completely, the change in atmosphere is immediate. The hum of the city outside becomes more distant, and I can hear the faintest whisper of the car's engine as it glides through the streets. Luca's intense gaze never leaves mine as he leans in slightly, his presence commanding yet somehow comforting.