Chapter 13 - A world ruled by men

1st of May, 2024

Wednesday

Luca's pov.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I find myself seated with my family in the garden of my grandfather's estate. It is the evening of the first day of the month, marking the beginning of my sister's wedding celebrations. We're having a close family gathering, with just the inner circle present—our immediate family and a few of my closest cousins, Dante and Leo.

Sitting on the two seater to my left, are my parents, Giuseppe and Francesca. I study their regal statures and how they always seem to radiate happiness. My father is on the verge of 50, but could still pass for my age. His short, perfectly styled black hair with his dark eyes along with his sculptured face and his fit body of an athlete. The man never doesn't not look good, and my mother, with her perfectly blown dried chocolate colored hair, and her deep, icy blue eyes. The eyes we always all inherited, except for Santino, who has heritage my grandfather's dark eyes. however, my mother was still upon this day the definition of een "It" girl. The true form of perfection. My parents are always the best looking, power couple together and everyone envy them.

By my father's outside appearance, you could never suspect him to be the most dangerous motherfucker that walks this earth. The devil in disguise. Giuseppe Castellano controls all the Italian crime activity on the east coast of America, and all of Sicily. Everyone is afraid of him. The name Castellano is synonymous for ruthlessness, however on the outside we looked like the perfect aristocrat upper class family.

It all started way back with my Grand father Vitto Castellano. Who flee Sicily, hiding from a Sicilian drugs lord, who wanted him death. By some accomplices he was put on the boat to United States in 1930. He was six and alone but he made it. I don't know how he got on that ship without the proper papers or documentation and he never told me the whole tale but I had a feeling that he had been doing illegal things all of his life. Stowing away on a boat heading for America was just another walk in the park for that badass. He was pushing one hundred now but he's still going strong, probably enjoying life to the fullest with some attractive stewardess in Sweden. I'm certain he'll make it to the wedding, though. The family man he is.

The second he stepped off the boat at Ellis Island, it was a fucking blood bath. He had no money, no family, and no damn clue what he was doing, but he was smart. He lived the streets for about a year and from his stories, got whatever he wanted just by giving his "scary eye", which he had mastered before he was five. No one else could pull it off quite like him but once you got the look, you knew you were in for a world of hurt. I had only gotten it once and my ass still hurt from the butt kicking he gave me, but I digress. He was a motherfucking beast and still is.

Long story short, he married, had a butt-load of kids with multiple women and the line went down or was giving, I am not sure which one, to my father, Giuseppe. My grandfather and dad often clashed while growing up, where my grandpa is more explosive and hotheated like me, my dad is very calm. Do not mistake his calmness for weakness, because Giuseppe Castellano can be very violent man when he needs to be. 

I am the second son of my parents. As the second son, I would normally be in no position to take over but if you knew Santino, you would understand why my father favorited me to take over, whenever he decide it is time.

I look to my right, and find my oldest brother Santino. He is 28 years old and he is a massive guy. We always joke that he should be a professional linemen in the NFL instead of a mobster. However, underneath all the muscle, is a guy who never had the ambition to lead. That is why our father was so willing to give second-in-command to me, but don't mistake Santino's effectiveness, because he can take down a roomful of people with just his fists. I have always admired him for his strength.