Chapter 52 - Reaching for the stars

[2/2]

As I finish my breakfast with Maria, Luca's earlier suggestion pops into my mind. "Maria, do you think it would be alright if I invited my girlfriends over? I'd love to catch up with them."

Maria's face lights up with a warm smile. "Of course, cara mia. This is your home too. I'll make sure everything is perfect for your guests."

"Thank you, Maria. I really appreciate it," I say, touched by her kindness. I head back to the bedroom, feeling a sense of excitement. I step into the bathroom, eager to freshen up. The flight and our enthusiastic christening of Luca's bed have left me feeling sweaty. As I step into the shower, I notice all the familiar products I use neatly arranged on the shelf. It's crazy how much Luca pays attention to details.

After a quick shower, I go through my usual routine, applying a bit of makeup before walking out into the bedroom with a towel wrapped around me. I head toward the walk-in closet, turning the corner without much thought, when suddenly my eyes fall upon someone inside the closet, and immediately I scream on top of my lungs.

"Miss, miss, calm down," the woman says, jumping up. I now notice her t-shirt that reads 'Organize Queen.' "I am here to help you with organizing your clothes into the closet," she explains calmly, her eyes wide as she holding her hands up in defense.

I lean against the doorframe, trying to steady my breath. Just as I begin to calm down, the bedroom door flies open. Federico storms in, his gun drawn, followed closely by Maria, who brandishes a broomstick like a weapon. Normally, I would have laughed at the scene, but my eyes are fixed on the gun in Federico's hands.

"Miss Maddie, are you alright?" Federico asks, his eyes scanning the room for any threat.

"Yes, yes, I'm fine," I manage to say, my voice shaky. "I just wasn't expecting anyone in the closet."

Maria lowers her broomstick, her expression turning from fierce to concerned. "What happened, cara mia?"

I explain the situation, pointing to the woman in the 'Organize Queen' t-shirt. "She startled me, that's all. I didn't know she was here to organize the closet."

Federico holsters his gun, his posture relaxing. "My apologies, Miss Maddie. I'll make sure to inform you next time someone is working in the apartment."

Maria shakes her head, muttering something in Italian before turning to the woman. "I'm sorry for the confusion. Please continue with your work."

The woman nods, smiling sheepishly. "Of course. I'll be done shortly."

As Maria and Federico leave the room, I take a deep breath and step into the closet. The poor woman is dodging my eyes completely, and I can feel the awkwardness radiate from her. I quickly choose two-piece outfit that is for hand and walk back to the bathroom and get dressed. My heart is still racing, but I can't help but laugh at the absurdity of the situation. I pick up my phone and call Brianna.

After a few rings, Brianna answers, her voice filled with concern. "Maddie! how are you? We've been so worried about you."

"Hi babe! I'm doing better, Bri. Wait, let me add Em to the call." I quickly add Em to the call, and within two rings she picks up. "O my God, Maddie!," she squeal enthusiastically.

"Hi girls!," I say as my eyes water with emotions as I hear their voices. I normally speak and see Bri and of course Emily daily. So for us to have barely any contact is unusual. "I missed you guys so much! I was hoping the two of you could come over to Luca's place. I could really use some girl time," I say, my voice softening.

"Are you in New York?." Bri asks, clearly shocked.

"Yeah, we flew landed a couple of hours ago." I explain to them.