Chapter 43

Aleks stood at his mother's grave. Her body had been buried in a meadow in heaven after the angels had taken her away. Michael had done this so that she could rest there.

Although he didn't remember her, he felt a deep connection to her. Belial and Zack had talked about her, but it wasn't the same. He had lost an important part, but he would do it again.

A tear ran down his cheek as he laid down the flowers. "Hello, Mum." It took some time before he could finally speak, then he told her everything. He told her about Belial, Sai and his chaotic journey. "I wish I'd met you." So he stood there and prayed, even though he knew it was pointless. Footsteps approached and he turned around.

Niyati stood next to him, looked at the tombstone. "We have to go," he said.

Metis and Tori waited at a distance.

Aleks nodded and took a deep breath. Then he felt the tension. "You don't need to be afraid, Niyati, you won't lose them again," Aleks said.

Niyati looked at him in surprise. How? This angel is just... incredible. "Are you sure you haven't swallowed empathy after all?" the God asked sarcastically.

Aleks just laughed. "No, definitely." Then he clenched his fist. "Well, let's get it over with," he said, turning around, moving away from his mother's grave.

Together, the three of them made their way to the Conference of the Gods. Today, Aleks would take his place in their ranks and Niyatis, Toris and Metis' fate would be decided.

You can do it. You've already survived death three times, so a few Gods can't do anything to you. Nervously, he stepped through the portal with the others and entered a white hall, where there were ranks on top of each other on the walls, where numerous Gods had taken their seats. The last time such a conference was convened was hundreds of years ago – after the destruction of the Deva.

Together they moved forward towards the throne on which the Supreme Deity sat. Everyone bowed their heads, not daring to look at him.

"Well, we're complete," came a powerful voice that sent shivers down Aleks' spine.

"Imagine," he was instructed.

Aleks bowed deeply, then straightened his back and said in a firm voice: "My name is Aleksander, I am the God of time."

A loud murmur went through the ranks. "Soso. And what is your divine task?" the Supreme God asked.

Niyati had prepared Aleks well for this. Even if it sounded simple, every God had to fulfill a task in order to have a right to exist. If this wasn't the case, their existence would be terminated. They had long discussions about what task Aleks would now take on and had received a passable result.

"As the God of time, I oversee the flow of time and the course of fate in hHell and Heaven. I will monitor whether your will is obeyed."

The supreme deity was silent. "That's not enough."

Niyati stiffened. What? There had never been anything like it before. There were Gods who did far less, but that wasn't enough to justify Aleks' existence?

A smile appeared on Aleks' lips. "That's what I thought, which is why I'd like to continue," Aleks said calmly.

The three Gods next to him looked at him in amazement. What was Aleks up to?

"My next task will be to supervise and punish the Gods Metis, Tori and Niyati. Who could be better suited for this than a carrier himself, a victim of their crime, so to speak?" Aleks added.

Loud murmurs broke out. The Supreme Deity looked at him for a long time and was silent.

Aleks had no idea if that was a good sign. He could see the bewilderment and fear on the faces of Niyati, Tori and Metis.