03 • THE HEIR

The enormous double doors leading into the throne room are opened by two men of the Targaryen household, guars stand sentry, one posted on each side of the doors.

Many people gathered in the ground floor and in the gallery, the banners and sigils of houses great and small: The Kingdom of the North, the Kingdom of the Mountain and the Vale, the Kingdom of the Isles and the Rivers, the Kingdom of the Rock, the Kingdom of the Storm lands, the Kingdom of the Reach, the Principality of Dorne, were all hanged in the Great Hall.

All heads turn as Prince Maegor Targaryen, Second of His Name, briskely strides in, wearing the targaryen house colors, red and black.

He carried his late father's ancestral sword Valyrian steel, Oathkeeper, at his hip in a hauberk.

He was tall, robust, clean cut look, well sculptured face, his white hair fell gracefully on his shoulders, with some hair behind his ears, broad shoulders, hard muscles, his face was a stand-out feature of a heart face shape with a broad forehead and cheekbones and a sharp jawline and then his eyes.....the outstanding feature of his look was his red eyes, red like blood, gleamed like the embers of hell, dark like serpent, bright like jewels of rubies, glisten like the orbs of the devil

Maegor might be a quarrelsome man, quick to take offense, slow to forgive, fearsome in his wroth. His skill with weapons was unmatched, however, he was perfect, beautiful, ethereal, but his aura is dangerous, intimidating, deadly, regal and alluring, women swooned after him, many adored him, a flick of his gaze alone, swept many off their feet. His piercing orbs, could make any woman bask in allure of worship.

He comes to stop and stands at the foot of the Iron Throne.

The throne room is packed with lords, ladies and knights from every corner of the realm. The mood is one of celebration.

King Viserys, crowned and dressed in the ceremonial armor of his house and with the Targaryen ancestral sword Blackfyre sheathed at his hip sits upon the Iron Throne.

Grand Maester Mellos stands on one side of the princess, and the High Septon, a man in his 70s stands on the other.

A long queue of lords has formed before the throne, wearing sigils familiar and unfamiliar. They wait with retainers, knights and men-at-arms, but when summoned by Grand Maester Mellos, the lords approach Maegor alone.

"Corlys of House Velaryon, Lord of the Tides and Master of Driftmark." Mellos announced as Lord Corlys, the Sea Snake, steps forward in the heraldry of House Velaryon: a seahorse. He kneels before Maegor much to the dismay of his wife, Princess Rheanys, 'The Queen Who Never Was', now denied a second time. Scandalous.

"I, Corlys Velaryon, Lord of Driftmark, promise to be faithful to King Viserys and his named heir, the Prince Maegor. I pledge fealty to them and shall defend them against all enemies in good faith and without deceit. I swear this by the old gods and the new." The Sea Snake pledges

As Lord Corlys says the words, Maegor looks out over the gathered lords of the Seven Kingdoms and all those yet to swear obeisance to him. The scope of it awes him, yet he could smell their fears.

"Lord Hobert Hightower, Beacon of the South, Defender of the Citadel, and Voice of Oldtown." Mellos announced.

The fifty year old man, Lord Hobert Hightower, older brother of Ser Otto Hightower and uncle of Charlotte Hightower steps up to kneel before the prince, wearing the greens and grays of his house.

"I, Lord Hobert Hightower, Beacon of the South, Defender of the Citadel, and Voice of Oldtown, promise to be faithful to King Viserys and his named heir, the Prince Maegor." The man knees and pledges obeisance.