29 • VISITING THE KING

The rising sun twinkled at dawn, the bell tolled allowing the gulls caw in the sky, with an uproar of the sea.

The roosters crowed softly on the roofs, the palace was bustling hither and thither with nobles and servants yet on silent tones they lounged in corners chatting and mourning of their late Queen.

However, Inside the Tower of the Hand, Ser Otto Hightower sees to the king's business with quill and parchment.

Grand Maester Mellos awaits. The Hand finishes a letter, folds it, and seals it with wax.

"For Oldtown. Straight away." He orders, Mellos nods and takes the letter. On his way out, he passes Lady Charlotte, Rhaenyra's friend. She wears a conservative dress, and her hair is bound up in a circlet. Her eyes all puffy and red.

Ser Otto lights up at her arrival, he rose from his chair and hugs his daughter.

"My darling." He smiles, kissing her cheek.

"Have you eaten breakfast?" He enquires, pecking her forehead.

"Mmmhmm... Yes" she whispers.

"Have you seen your sister?"

Charlotte looks up at him with a frown. "No."

"How is Rhaenyra?"

"She lost her parents, now her aunt. It's hard for her." Charlotte replies, her eyes full of tears.

"You've been a good loyal friend and a faithful servant to the Queen." Otto appraised.

"Did he the King finally choose his successor?" Charlotte inquires.

Otto shook his head. "No, he remains unbreakable, not willing to yield."

"The death of his wife took a huge toll on him." Charlotte says breezily with pity.

"The Queen was well-loved by all. I found myself thinking of your own mother these days." Otto tries to comfort her.

Charlotte smiles sadly. She pushes away the pain, not wanting to think about it, changing the subject. "How is His Grace condition?" She sounded politely, curious to know of the king's state.

"Very low. Which is why I sent for you. I thought that you might go to him during the day, offer him comfort in his chambers." Otto says with pity but his daughter does not look entirely comfortable with the ask. "Or don't you want to be Queen of the Seven Kingdoms?"

Charlotte blinks and lowered her gaze, her body tensed. "I - I wouldn't know what to say to him, we've never spoken before."

"It matters little. He will be glad for a visitor now that he's grieving alone." Otto says nothing more, returning to the work on his desk.

"But what if he sends me away?" Charlotte says worriedly.

"He won't, that's if you play your cards right and act like a true Hightower. The man is in a vulnerable state, having a confidant by his side will make more easy to grasp and you're of age, surely you know the wiles and games of men. Your words must sound like honey in his ears." Otto says incredulously.

Charlotte smirks.

"Now that the Queen is dead. You must seduce the King into marrying you and bear him heirs." Otto declares with a plain face. "That is the only way to affirm our claim on the iron throne, I'm sure you're aware of our plans."

Charlotte nods. "I know." she takes a deep breath.

"Are you prepared for this daughter, once you take the path, there's no turning back." Otto's voice was stern.