Chapter Thirty-Nine - Billie

"How long should a relationship be before you ask someone to marry you?" I ask Finneas and Claudia as they're driving me home. Claudia looks back at me with a smile on her face.

"Why do you ask that?" She asks.

"No reason. Just curious," I tell her.

"Mhm," she hums. "I'd say it's whenever you feel like it. Whenever it feels right. What do you like, Fin?"

"I'd say if the time feels right, go for it. If you really love the person and you want to spend the rest of your life with them, go for it," he says. I nod.

"Okay," I mumble.

"Are you thinking about asking Y/n to marry you?" He asks.

"What? No, I never said that. I was just curious as to how long a relationship would need to be for one to ask that question,"

"Well, even if you were thinking about asking her that question, I believe she would say yes," Claudia says.

"You think so?" I ask her. She nods.

"Oh, one hundred percent," I smile thinking about it.

To be honest, I've been thinking about it more and more recently. I would love to marry Y/n, but I honestly don't know if she feels the same. I know that she loves me. She doesn't need to remind me for me to know. I just don't know if she's ready. We haven't had a conversation on this topic at all. We've never talked about it. It's just never came up. I wanna ask her. I really do. I'm just so scared of her saying no. Claudia obviously believes that she would say yes, but nobody really knows that.

They drop me off at my house, and I notice that Y/n's car is gone. I make my way inside and go up to the bedroom. I change into more comfortable clothes, turn on a show, and climb into bed. Eventually, I fell asleep.

"Billie," I hear Y/n say as she's lightly shaking me. I open my eyes and look at her. A small smile forms on my face.

"Hi," I mumble.

"When did you get home?" She asks. I grab my phone to look at the time.

"Like, four hours ago. Where were you?"

"I just went grocery shopping. I noticed we were out of a few things,"

"Did you just get home?"

"No, I've been home for two hours, but I just let you sleep. I know you've needed it because you haven't been sleeping very well lately," I just lie there and watch as she starts picking my clothes up from earlier off the floor.

"Mm," I hum, still waking up.

"Why haven't you been able to sleep?" She asks. I sigh.

"I've just had a lot on my mind recently,"

"Anything you want to talk about?"

"I don't know," I tell her. "It's just I have questions."

"About what?"

"Nothing that matters right now. You don't need to worry about it," I reassure her. She gives me a weird look. "I promise it's nothing,"

"Are you sure? Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just thinking a lot, you know?"

"I get it. I just don't want you to be keeping anything from me,"

"I promise I'm not doing that. I'm just really tired," I tell her.

"Why don't you go back to sleep? I just woke you up to see if you wanted something to eat,"

"That'd be great," I tell her.

"Good because I'm getting ready to make something for dinner," she says. I nod and close my eyes again. "I can wake you up again when it's ready,"

"No, I'll just get up. I've spent a lot of today sleeping anyway," I tell her and get up. "I can help you if you need,"

"I think I'll be okay, but I'll call you when it's ready," she says and leaves the room. I get out of bed and get into the shower. By the time I'm out, the food is done, and we eat. My phone buzzes, and I grab it. It's Claudia.

Claudia: Are you busy?

Billie: No, why?

Claudia: I'm coming over

"Who's that?"

"Claudia. She says she's coming over. I don't know why,"

"Oh. I wonder what she needs. I hope it's not her and Fin having another fight,"

"I doubt it. She probably just wants to be with people. I know Finneas had plans tonight, so he's not home," I tell her.

About ten minutes later, there's a knock on the front door. Y/n goes to answer it. I hear her greeting Claudia, and then they walk into the kitchen.

"Hi," she says, and I say hi back. "I didn't want to be home by myself, so I thought I could come here."

"Yeah, that's fine. You're welcome here whenever you'd like," Y/n says.

"What have you guys been up to?"

"We just finished dinner. I don't know what we're gonna do for the rest of the night,"

"Sleep," I say.

"She hasn't been sleeping," Y/n tells Claudia.

"Oh, I can't imagine why," she says, giving me a look. I roll my eyes but smile a little.

"What do you mean?" Y/n asks.

"Billie's just had a lot on her mind recently," Claudia says.

"Shut up," I tell her.

"Sorry. I'm sorry,"

"Claudia, can I talk to you for a second?" I ask, and she nods. We make our way up to the guest bedroom. "What the hem is wrong with you?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why are you saying that in front of her?"

"It's not like she knows what we're talking about,"

"That's not the point. The point is you don't need to be pointing things out that she didn't need to know yet," I tell her.

"You're right. I'm sorry. But I don't think she'd question it,"

"She will. She's already onto me," I tell her.

"Oh, so you're already planning on proposing?"

"What? No, I never said that. All I've said is I've been thinking about the idea of it. Not actually doing it," I remind her. She rolls her eyes.

"You just don't know how she feels about something like that," I nod. "Why don't we ask her? Y/n," she says, and I see Y/n walking by the room. What is wrong with this girl? "What are your views on marriage? I think I'm gonna start hinting to Finneas that I want him to ask me to marry him."

"Oh, um, I think it's alright. I mean, I would like to be married one day," Claudia gives me a subtle look. "I just like the idea of having a wedding." She smiles.

"How long do you think a relationship should be before asking the questions?"

"I don't know. Maybe about two years a least. But if the time feels right, I'd say go for it. You wanna marry Finneas?"

"I'm thinking about hinting at home about it," Y/n smiles.

"That's lovely. I think you guys have been together longer enough. It's finally time for that,"

"I know. I just thought I wouksnget your opinion on it," she says, and Y/n walks away. "There's your answer," she tells me and pushes me out of the guest bedroom. I walk to my bedroom and get into bed again.

"You going back to sleep?" Y/n asks.

"Yeah, I'm exhausted," I tell her, and she gets into bed next to me. She wraps her arms around me and kisses the top of my head.

"Goodnight," she says.

"Goodnight," I whisper as I fall asleep again.