21: Truth

Izaya looked at [Name]'s arm skeptically for a minute or so with his mouth slightly agape while [Name] continued frosting her cupcakes. The clock ticked loudly through the silence when [Name] realized Izaya wasn't speaking. As she lay down her last cupcake she saw him smiling at her face, making her confused until he began to speak, "Do you have some healing superpowers, demon lady?" He smirked when he saw [Name] raising an eyebrow and came to a sudden realization immediately. She looked at her arm with a smile and said, "Why don't you find out?" She turned to the glass shelf behind her. She took one cupcake from the counter and placed them on the shelf. As she continued doing the same with the rest of the cakes, Izaya jumped over the counter and stood straight beside [Name], looking at the assortment.

He spoke again.

"[F/N], can I ask you a question?" He asked.

"Sure Izaya," [Name] replied back, not giving much attention to Izaya.

"Do you believe in a god?" Izaya smirked and now shifted his gaze from the shelf to the woman who took the last cupcake from the counter and placed it between two other cakes. She chuckled a little seeing Izaya's simpering face and inquisitive eyes. She sat on the counter with her legs crossed and faced Izaya. She placed her hands on the counter in front of her, and Izaya looked down at her fingers, which had patches of red and white skin sticking out from the sides.

His smirk grew wider.

The clock ticked for the fifth time when [Name] said, "I don't know in all honesty. I think of matters philosophically, both scientifically and superstitiously." At this point, Izaya looked into the female's eyes with curiosity, but kept his smirk plastered nevertheless. "If I think of matter, let's say 'How the universe was created' then I'd think of the scientific ways and superstitious ways," she said, "because I honestly don't know if there is a creator or not and I cannot be too cure of it either." [Name] got off the counter and walked towards the large window. As she walked towards it, she said, "You are an atheist; therefore you do not believe in a God." She stopped, and looked out at the city streets and the blue morning sky.

Mika Harima and Seiji Yagiri walked by her, oblivious to her gaze.

"I have a question for you Izaya," [Name] said without looking at him, "Why don't you believe in a god?" Izaya took a cupcake from the shelf behind him and solely peeling the paper cup from underneath it. He then took a bite from it. When he swallowed he asked, "Did you bake these [F/N]-Chan?" She turned and frowned a little, "You're going to have to pay for that, but yes, I did bake it and I made the frosting too." "They're really good, even though sweet isn't my thing, I like them," Izaya remarked as he licked off the icing from the top. [Name] walked back towards him and stood by the other side of the counter, looking at Izaya gobble up the cake in his hands. "Izaya. Why. Don't. You. Believe. In. A. God," she asked again, pausing after every word.

Izaya sighed as he hopped over the counter again and looked at [Name], "You see, there is really no proof of god. There are so many different religions out there and each one believes in a different kind of god... which god is the real creator of this world? – Nobody will know. Let's say any one of the gods from one religion is the true creator of this world. If that is the case then the rest of the people of the other religions are screwed for believing in something else! So I personally think that not believing in anything is my best bet." He was then about to leave the store and ask "[F/N]" to join him when one of [Name]'s coworkers busted out the back door and starter to scream, [NAME] [NAME] [NAME] [NAME] [NAME]!!!!" Her real name rang loud and clear through the tensioning atmosphere as both Izaya and she looked at the coworker, who was a male demon named [Random friend's name]. He raised his arms up in ecstasy and screamed, "[NAME]!!! THE CAKE IS READY YOU HAVE TO SEE HOW GORGEOUS IT IS! [NAME]!!"

No. 

She didn't reply. She just stood there, staring at nothingness as her heart began to beat faster than ever. The clock ticked as [Random friend's name]'s face grew from a smile to confusion and he let his arms fall to his side. He stood there in front of the back door and scratched his scalp. Name was standing there, looking down at the floor with blank eyes as she began to sweat.

No... No... No... 

"[Name]? Are you okay? The cake is ready... aren't you supposed to be happy? And who is that, your boyfriend?" He pointed to Izaya.

Please, please... no... 

[Name] turned around to where her co worker was pointing to. Very slowly. Her feet trembled and the clock ticked like a loud doorbell. Izaya stood there, so close to [Name] that their nose nearly touched.

Holey sheit... 

"[Name], huh?" Izaya whispered a little seductively to her ears. This made her sweat a little more and she unsheathed her gun a little bit. "Should I call you [Name] from now on...? [F/N]-Chan?" Izaya chuckled darkly.

[Name] pushed him away from her face and tumbled backwards a little. She gave give a death glare and said, "[Name} is a fake na –" And right before she had finished, Izaya said, "Oh, don't you lie to me [Name]-Chan! I know full well that [F/N] was indeed your fake name and I knew it for a very long time except I didn't know what your real name was... but now I do... You shouldn't lie [Name]-Chan... lying is bad." He pointed his finger at her like a parent scolding a child.

[Random friend's name] shrugged and said, "Uh [Name]...? If you want to see the cake later on, it'll be in the kitchen." And he went back.

No, no, no, no... this is bad... this is really bad... if he knows my real name... he'll be able to sniff everything out! My address and everything! – He's an informant for glob's sake! No!!

------------------

Please leave a vote and comment! – It helps me out a lot and encourages me to write further!