-Chapter Forty-

A horn honked in front of the house. Sophie went to go investigate why a gray truck had been outside for the last five minutes. On the way out, she grabbed the baseball bat by the door, just in case.

She peered out the door. The horn started honking again. She sighed in relief when she saw who was in the driver's seat.

Keefe rolled down the window. "Hey, Foster! Guess what I got for my birthday!"

"No way!" She ran down the steps and up to the window. "Your parents got you a car?"

He snorted. "No, Ro did. Remember, she's richy rich, now."

"That is awesome!"

"Wanna ride around?"

"Uh, yeah!"

She ran inside to go tell her parents, then jumped into the truck.

They rode around the neighborhood a couple of times. When they drove by the grumpy old man's house, Keefe blasted the music.

Mr. Forkle came out of his house, yelling at them to shut up. Keefe stopped and turned up the music so loud, Sophie thought her eardrums might burst. The bass rattled her teeth.

The next go around, Mr. Forkle was waiting for them. He got up out of hus rocking chair and aimed his BB gun. Before he could pull the trigger, Keefe sped off.

Sophie couldn't help but laugh. "Oh, he is going to murder you if he gets his hands on you."

He smirked. "Good thing he won't."

She shook her head. "You're awful."

"I try."

They steered into Sophie's driveway.

"After the game Friday," Keefe began, "We're gonna go to Ruby Tuesdays. It's going to be for our championship and for my birthday. Do you wanna come?"

Sophie grinned. "I'd love to."

Sophie fiddled with the ribbon of Keefe's present. She really wanted him to like it, she just didn't know if she should in front of the entire team.

At the table, Fitz ended up telling the waitor that they were celebrating Keefe's birthday.

"Aw, come on," Keefe complained. "You know how embarrassing that is."

Fitz raised an eyebrow. "Then where was that courtesy when it was my birthday?"

He narrowed his eyes. "Touche."

A couple of times, Sophie nearly slid him his gift. But every time, she held back. She knew how big of a deal it would be for him. She wasn't sure how he'd react if it was in front of his friends.

Finally, when it was time for everyone to go, she pulled him aside.

"Hey," she murmured. "I got you something." She held it out to him.

"Oh," Keefe took it from her. "Thank you."

He slowly unraveled the ribbon. When he tore the paper off, he gasped.

It was a green sketch book, covered in little swirled engravings. There was also a set of colored pencils and watercolor paints.

"I've seen your art," she explained. "And I know how much you enjoy it. But whenever I've seen you draw, it's always in crayons and pens. So I figured you'd like something a bit more professional. Do you like it?"

Her awnser was the wind being knocked out over her from Keefe's crushing embrace.

"I love it, Sophie!" He pulled back to reveal his slightly teary eyes. He leaned down to kiss her, palm lingering on her cheek when he pulled back. "It's fantastic."

Sophie giggled.