-Chapter Forty-five-

"It's cold," Sophie hissed, stepping out the truck.

"Yeah, it is," Keefe agreed. "But the view is really cool."

"I suppose."

She unzipped his jacket and wiggled herself into it. The body heat warmed her. She let out a relieved sigh.

"You can't stay like that if we're going to be stargazing," he teased.

"Yeah, yeah," Sophie grumbled. She wrapped her arms around his torso. "Let me defrost first.

Keefe chuckled and kissed the top of her head. "You can still warm up in a blanket."

She looked up at him. "But the blanket isn't you."

She could've sworn she saw him turn red. Flustered, he turned away. For once, Sophie made him blush. She got on her tip toes to kiss his cheek. She smiled when the red darkened.

"Foster," Keefe murmured. "You're too good for me."

She squeezed him tighter. "You deserve the world, Keefe."

"Hmmm. Not sure if I believe that, but thank you. Let's get the blankets. You're right it's cold."

They pulled a few quilts out of the car. One was spread down on the grass. The rest were piled on top of them. Each of them wrapped a burrito, then an extra shared between the two.

They had driven out a ways from the city now that it was winter break. The stars were a lot brighter this way.

Sophie snuggled up to Keefe's side when they sat down. He smiled and curled his arms around her, holding her close. She leaned her head on his chest.

She peered up at the sky. The stars were twinkling against the inky black. It was almost hypnotic.

She pointed up at a constellation. "See that one. It's called Orian."

"That's cool," he murmured.

He seemed to be lost in a trance, staring up at the atmosphere like that. His eyes were unfocused, looking at nothing in particular.

He laid down on the blanket. Sophie followed, curling up to him.

"It's really pretty out here," Keefe whispered.

"It is," she agreed.

Her turned his head to face her. He studied her features for a moment before saying, "You're really pretty too." His lips stretched into a smile.

Sophie stared into his ice blue gaze. "So are you."

His eyes crinkled up at the corners from his grin. He laughed and pressed his forehead to hers. He gently connected their lips together. She took the invitation.

Sophie ran her hands through his fluffy hair. He made no complaint against it. He just deepened the kiss and trailed a hand down her back.

When they broke apart for air, she continued massaging his scalp. Surprisingly, he just sighed happily and gazed up at her. She put in her inner notes that head scratchies were a good weakness against him.

In that moment, she could imagine them in the future. The two of them married, maybe with a few children. And a dog. Definitely a dog.

She wanted to spend the rest of her life with him. Funny enough, there was zero question on why she wouldn't.

Yes, he was a goofball at times and could annoy the crap out of her, but that was just part of his charm. He was always there for her. Her first friend. She trusted him with her life. She knew he did as well. They always leaned on one another for support.

They needed each other.

Sophie couldn't imagine what she would do without him. She didn't want to. It would be too painful to think about what she'd do if anything ever happened, and she lost him.

Keefe eventually broke their stare to bury his face in the crook of her neck. His hair tickled her face. She giggled and rubbed his back.