-Chapter Thirty-seven-

Sophie peered out the window as she dried off her hair. She had just gotten out of swimming practice. She was now waiting for Ro to come pick her up so they could pick out bridesmaid dresses. When the car
drove into the parking lot, she hurried out into the vehicle.

"Hey, Blondie," Ro greeted her. "Ready to go?"

"Definitely."

Sophie had never actually had a fancy dress before. She was excited to be able to have one for special occasions.

They arrived at the dress shop. Ro's other friends were already there waiting.

"Ok, so, the color I was wanting for the dresses was purple. I honestly don't care what shade. You do you. Pick whichever dress you like best. And remember," a grin spread on Ro's face, "his parents are paying for the wedding. They're rich. Don't worry about the price."

With that, Sophie went to go browse the shelves. She stopped at the lilacs, taking her time to browse each dress. She paused when she found one that caught her eye.

It went straight down to the floor, with several layers of tool. Usually, it wouldn't be something she'd wear, but for some reason, she was being drawn to it. She found it in her size and took it to Ro.

"What do you think of this one," she asked.

Ro took in from her hand and inspected in. She smiled. "I like it. Have you tried it on yet?"

"Not yet. I wanted to see what you thought, first."

"Well, go try it on," she shooed her to the fitting room.

Sophie tried the dress on and stared in the mirror. It... looked good. It was just so different from what she usually wore.

"Fall asleep in there, Blondie?" Ro called from the outside. "I wanna see it on!"

Sophie hesitantly opened the door and stepped out. "I don't know," she murmured.

"What do you mean?" Ro asked. "It looks good. Do you not like it?"

"I do. It's just... not what I'd usually wear." She glanced back in the mirror. "I don't think I could pull it off."

"Umm, what do you mean 'don't know if you could pull it off?' You looked at yourself, right? If it's not your style, we can pick another. But if this is a confidence issue, you don't have to worry about that. It looked amazing," she assured.

Sophie stared at the dress. It was really pretty. "I'll hang onto it," she decided. "I'll keep looking to see if I find something I like better."

She kept looking up until everyone else was done. She tried on several other dresses, but her eyes kept darting back to the first one she picked out.

When it came time to check out, she placed the original one on the counter. Ro gave her a somewhat smug smirk, and gave it to the cashier.