-Chapter Fifty-two-

Sophie pulled up into a parking spot. She grabbed her phone and keys before heading into the building.

The friend group had decided to meet up to play lazer tag for spring break. She had gotten stuck in traffic on the way there. She had already called to let them know she was on her way.

She searched the lobby for her friends when she got through the door. She noticed them in the corner.

When she came up to them, Linh said, "There you are! Come on, we've already got the first game set up."

Linh practically dragged Tam off behind her, leaving behind Marella, standing there looking lost. Eventually, she gained back her free will and follwed. The rest of the group followed in suit.

Sophie grabbed one of the vests, strapping it on. The lazer gun dangled by her side. It kept hitting her kneecap when she tried to walk, so she shoved the barrel of the gun into her pocket to keep it in place.

She stationed herself in one of the corners as she waited for the countdown to zero out. When it did, she set off.

Hiding behind a wall, she waited for footsteps. When she finally heard them, she peeked her head out at shot at Fitz. His vest flashed red. He looked confused before she ran out of her hiding place.

The next person she came by was Marella. Her eyes widened, but she managed to duck before Sophie shot her. In retaliation, Sophie ended up with a flashing vest. She huffed and went to hide behind a wall while she waited to be able to shoot again.

When she was able to shoot once more, she waited for a good opportunity to run. Unfortunately, she heard steps coming around the corner. She was trapped. She aimed up her gun.

When Keefe came around the corner, she was about to pull the trigger, but he put his hands up in surrender.

"I want to make an alliance!" He shouted in his defense.

Sophie squinted. She kept her gun aimed but gestured for him to continue his proposition.

"I want to team up with you. We both don't shoot each other so we can go after other people together. Do we have a deal?"

She lowered her gun and held out a hand. "We do."

He took it and shook on it. "Good doing business with you ma'am." He smirked. "Are you ready to take these suckers down?"

"You bet!" She grabbed his shoulder as she scoped out their surroundings. She heard voices in one direction. She tilted her head to the left. "This way," she whispered.

They pattered through the labyrinth of walls before coming to a stop. Sophie counted off on her fingers before they ambushed Dex and Biana. Her and Keefe ran off before they could hear the reactions. Although Sophie was fairly certain she heard a few curses coming from Dex as she scampered away.

At the end of the round, she was sweaty from being in the hot room. But it was all worth it when she saw her and Keefe's name at the top two spots of the leader board.

Keefe smirked at her and held a hand up for a high five. She gave him one. She was concerned, however, when he cringed and rolled his left shoulder.

"Are you alright?" She asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine. My arm is just kind of numb, right now."

Her brows furrowed. "How come?"

He shrugged and started massaging the arm. "Think it just fell asleep for some reason. I'm sure it's nothing."

She eyed the way he tried to shake his arm awake. "Okayyyy," she said slowly. "If you're sure."

"Seriously, Foster, I'm fine. The next round is starting in a moment. Let's go hide!"

She waited for a moment, mentally debating in her mind, but he seemed fine, so she ran off to follow him. They hid behind one of the barriers, waiting for the round to start.