Stain

Interning with Airy proved to be difficult. While she did see him as a dependable hero, switching from his silly attitude to serious in just a blink of an eye, his speed was definitely hard to keep up with. Grappling across buildings provided some mobility, however it just wasn't enough. On her third day, f/n decided to share her concerns.

"So you want to be more mobile? Honestly, I thought you were just handicapping yourself!" Airy shrugged playfully as he turned back to the weights which he was training with.

f/n tilted her head confused at his words, "What do you mean handicap?"

Airy put the weights which he was working with very suddenly before jolting out of his sitting position. "You mean you really don't know!?" He shrieked, clearly shocked at this realization.

"That's why I'm asking for help right now! You're my mentor!" f/n replied, a little bit peeved.

He sighed before wiping the sweat off of his forehead. "I mean, I saw on TV that you could solidify your smoke or at least make it more dense right? So it can touch things and pick them up. And...there was that huge dragon too which you released!!" Airy continued to wave his hands in the air, clearly trying to poke at something.

"So..."

"Do I have to spoon feed it to you?! Just ride on your dragon!"

"Oh. I can do that?"

"...can't you?"

-

The next few hours of that night were spent on the rooftop of Airy's agency. f/n shivered as the cold breeze brushed her face violently, whipping her hair and clothes.

"So! Let's just throw you in the deep end!" Airy smiled as he jumped off the building.

f/n looked over the edge, seeing the sparkling lights all throughout the city. She wasn't sure why she never thought of riding her dragons before. The only excuse she could come up with is that prior to the Sports Festival, she never released dragons of that size. No way would it be possible to carry her if they were their usual smaller size.

She looked towards Airy who was swirling through the air. He waved to her, beckoning her to jump off as well.

"So? Didn't you want to learn?"

f/n climbed over the ledge so that her legs were dangling over. "You'll catch me if I can't keep my dragon out for long enough, right? I don't have much endurance."

"Obviously! But you don't really need my help!" Airy replied.

She firmly placed her hands on the concrete ledge before releasing one of her dragons. The smoke excreted from her right bicep as Airy watched closely. The tattoo fully disappeared with the ink fluttering into a dark haze. Its form soon developed into the recognizable lindworm creature.

"Ooh scary!" Airy taunted in a high-pitched tone. He hovered close below her, ready to catch her if needed.

Using her hands again, she shifted her body weight above the ledge. Here goes nothing. As her legs touched the dragon's back, she felt herself being lifted up.

"Huh..." f/n murmured as she directed the smoke to elevate herself. She paid close attention to the density of the smoke, making sure that she wasn't going to fall down.

A voice called out, taking her out of her trance. "Kid, you're doing it!"

"Woah," She hummed, looking at the city below her which proved to be a bad idea. It's so high up but the view...

Looking down caused her to be unsteady and made her lose her focus. It wasn't long before the smoke began to thin, her body slowly sinking into the dragon's back.