Chapter Forty-Seven

“Hey Sarah, there's this handsome dude looking for you outside.” Sarah's church member and friend, Emma, said as she sauntered towards her.

“Oh, that must be Bill.” She ignored the ‘handsome part', which was very much expected from Emma.

She ambled out of the children's church's area, to the usher stand where she sighted Bill, and many other friends drooling at his sight.

His back was turned to her and as she neared him, one of her other friends mouthed. 'How did you get such a handsome dude'?

Was Bill that handsome? Okay, yes he was that handsome.

She tapped his shoulder when she'd reached him.

He pivoted, and a handsome smile appeared on his lips. “Hi.”

He seemed oblivious of all the stares from around, as she was well known in the church. She'd been attending it since she was born and she didn't really bring male friends who'd smile so broadly at her sight.

“Hey.” She returned his greeting with a smile of her own. “Why don't we head in?”

“Sure.”

She stood beside him and directed him to the auditorium where they took a seat beside each other.

Normally, she'd be teaching in the children's section, but it felt rude to just leave him alone so she'd left Emma to teach the children alone.

Bill stared around the full church which she was used to, but he might not be used to being in a full church.

He turned to her and opened his mouth like he was about to say something, but the service began and he didn't say what he wanted to say.

The service went by without either of them saying a word, but she could feel Bill stealing glances at her every once in a while.

After they shared grace, they both walked out of the auditorium.

“I enjoyed the service.” He started when they were heading out of the church.

Sarah was keen on avoiding every of her close church members, or the elders who'd begin their fantasies about her and Bill.

Luckily for her, she made it out of the church without anyone's presence.

“That's nice to hear.”

He stopped walking and she did the same, turning to him.

She could sense he wasn't sure if she'd changed her mind about going out for a drink after service.

She'd delayed it too long, so she couldn't do that again.

So, to answer his unspoken questions, she asked, “May I know where you'll be taking me to?”

She didn't hide the hint of playfulness in her tone so he'd feel— less whatever he felt. Tensed?

Why would he be tense? Or was he nervous? Obviously there was no reason for him to be nervous. Right?

He seemed to have caught the playfulness in her tone because he smiled and loosened his shoulders that she didn't know had been tightened.

“Not anywhere special.” He stared down at her, holding her gaze and it suddenly felt awkward.

It felt even more awkward to break, and she became aware of their closeness and the fact they were still within the church area.

Anyone who saw them would have a different meaning to whatever was going on.

Wait, what was going on?

“Like you said, you seem to be famous in the church.” He said it in a tone just above a whisper, leaving her heart beating twice as fast.