Chapter Thirty-Four

Bale resisted the urge to roll his eyes as he stared at his mom pacing worriedly back and forth the parlor, his dad making several calls and Trisha and Finn just sitting silently.

Truthfully, he had no idea where Reil was, but he was certain they were all overreacting.

She wasn't a child anymore that needed to be checked every second.

Soon, the door to their house swung open and all gaze was directed to it as the clinking of heels filled the immediate silence that followed.

He involuntarily rose to his feet at the female strutting towards them.

Yeah, it was Reil, and she looked and dressed the same, but there was certainly something different about her that he couldn't put a finger on.

"Reil." Ivy scurried towards her, throwing her into a tight hug. "Where on earth were you? Gosh, you're so frustrating."

After the dramatic scene, she released her earning a smile from Reil. "I'm sorry for making you worry Ivy."

"Tell me where you where, now." Sean demanded, dropping his phone.

"I was at a friend's place." She said and he immediately knew she was lying.

Well, he seemed to have been the only one aware of that, because his dad asked, "Why didn't you answer you phone then?"

"I left my phone at home. I'm sorry." She turned to him and he immediately saw it. What she'd tried using makeup to cover.

Her swollen eyes. She'd cried. Why had she cried?

He sat down back, wondering where exactly she'd been and what she'd been doing.

~~~~~
After hours of family reconciliation, it was finally time to head back home.

Ivy had suggested she slept over as it was really late, but she wanted to head to work early the next day so she refused the offer and decided to go home.

Once outside, she sighted Bale, leaning against his car which was behind hers.

She decided it'd be best to ignore him and just head to her car and drive home, but that plan was disturbed when she reached her door handle.

"Where were you actually?" He asked in a less stern tone and if she didn't know better, she'd think he actually care.

She turned to him. "I didn't know you'd be worried."

He let out a chortle. "I think worried would be an overstatement."

Of course. She almost rolled her eyes.

"So, I assume you listened to my advise to back down from all this business fiasco you're getting yourself into. It's not your thing." He stood straight, holding her gaze.

She dropped her hands to her sides. "I told you Bale, I'll take all five companies from you. It's a promise."

His face hardened as he pulled his brows to a deep frown, wrinkling his forehead.

"Your weak personality would only ruin the company." He said, confusing her. What did he mean?

"What are you saying?"

"The company doesn't need a CEO who'd be crying her life out and wear excessive makeup to cover that up."

She almost gasped. How did he find out? She'd made a lot of effort to look presentable and cover up the dark and swollen circles under her eyes.

She clenched her first (not that she could fight with him or anything, he'd probably lift her up with a finger). "Whatever you have to say don't bother me, just know you're fucked up and get your ass ready for consolation when I sweep you off the business."

"You stand no chance in business. It's by luck you were able to get these two companies. Luck."

"And by skills that I'd get the remaining three." She opened the driver's seat to her car, closing it once she was in.

She started the car, then drove away.

She knew it wasn't going to be easy to take the three companies from Bale. He'd been doing business his whole life.

But she wasn't only in for the competition with him. She actually wanted to make the company a better place.

She wanted it to be somewhere fun for both the customer and the employees.

Bale was not someone to do something good for his employees. And she was going to do that.

She was going to make work a better place. She'd do it. No matter how hard it took. She'd do it.