Chapter Forty-Five

Gosh, why was it that deciding on what cloth to wear to go out on a congratulations party (as she chose to call it though her mind screamed that it was a date), was a lot of work.

She'd changed from clothes to clothes and still wasn't satisfied.

It was either too formal, too informal, too classy or a little tacky. And it was mostly because he hadn't said where they were going.

A party? Classy party? Not so classy party?

Finally, just a few minutes till Drix arrived, she had decided to put on an orange mid thigh A-line dress with a black heels.

She'd brushed her hair really neatly, leaving them to fall on waves over her shoulders.

She hadn't put on much makeup so as not to look too desperate or whatever.

Grabbing her black purse, she headed out of the room then out of the house where she saw Drix's car coming to a halt.

He opened the car door, walking out of it.

As she stared at him, she suddenly felt relieved for not overdressing.

He was dressed in a casual blue t-shirt with black pants and a black shoe.

He stared at her from up to down and she felt the heat rise to her cheeks from his stare.

Then when his gaze met hers, he held it. “You look nice.”

“Thanks. And you don't look too bad yourself.” Which was true, because, although he was dressed casual, he still looked hot and eye-catching.

“Why don't we get going then?” 

She walked to the passenger seat, opening the door and closing it once she was in.

He closed the door to the driver's seat once he was in also, then he started the car.

The engine roared and the car began moving.

“You know, you never mentioned where we were going.” She said after a few minutes of driving in silence.

She noticed his lips pull to a smile though his gaze didn't shift from the road.

“Not anything special.” He said, “I was sure you'd probably be working a lot and needed something to calm you, so I just thought we could go to the park and just enjoy the soothing presence.”

The park was not what she'd expected, and it certainly wasn't romantic and all, but if it meant they could be together, she didn't mind.

And the fact he'd thought about her being stressed was enough to make the whole trip memorable.

“Thanks.” 

Few minutes later, the car came to a halt in front of the park, and they both came out of the car.

“My house isn't far from here.” He told her, scanning around like he'd see his house if he did.

“Really?” She actually wished she could offer for them to head to his house, but that was probably going to chase him away.

It was five p.m, so the park was a little occupied by children running around, with their parents just sitting with their phones.

He stood beside her as they both ambled to a bench where they took a seat beside each other.

Being aware of his presence, and being so close to him sent her heart on a marathon race. 

“The sight of children makes me happy.” He said in a tone just above a whisper and she turned to see him staring at a particular kid who was running around with another kid.

“Yeah, I guess.”

And that led to them talking about different things and shifting from one topic to another and to another.

She wasn't even aware when it had been an hour, and when she checked on the kid they'd been watching, she realized the girl's older brother (as they seemed to look alike) who seemed to be about eight years older than her, took her away with a smile on both of their faces.

She'd never smiled with Bale. Never. That wasn't even a possibility.

And Bale had certainly never taken her to a park. In fact, no one had ever taken her to a park.

“What's wrong?” She didn't realize she'd wrinkled her forehead till Drix spoke, causing her gaze to shift to him.

“I just remembered something.” She said in a slightly annoyed tone.

“You want to talk about it?” The way their friendship had gone to letting each other on everything, was so weird and nice.

“It's not really important,” she began, “I just thought about it and realized that no one ever took me to a park when I was younger.”

He was silent for a moment and when her gaze shifted to his lips, she thought, and seriously thought he was going to kiss her.

If he did, what'd she do? Would she allow him or pull apart?

Okay, she knew she'd never pull apart from his kiss. 

But then, it'd be his first kiss. 

Instead, he placed a hand on the back of her palm that rested on the seat of the bench in between them.

“If it helps you feel better, no one's ever taken me to a park either.” He smiled a little, before removing his hands from hers and staring back at the park.

But that wasn't what was in her mind anymore.

His touch had left her hand electrifying, sending sparks down her hand.

And as soon as it left her, it felt like a huge part of her was removed. She missed his touch, and wanted it again.

Her mind wasn't there that she was still staring at him, till he turned back to her and their gaze locked.

Okay, if before she'd been wrong about thinking he wanted to kiss her, this time she was certain he was going to do it.

His gaze shifted to her lips, as he leaned closer.

She felt a drop of water fall on her skin, but she chose to ignore it. Nothing must ruin the perfect moment.

He stopped midway, rising to his feet and leaving her in confusion.

What's happening?

“It's drizzling, let's go.” He explained, stretching his hand for her to take.

That was when she realized drops of rain were literally beating her.

She accepted his hand, and just like almost everyone else in the park, they were running towards their car.

When they reached his car, they were already soaked wet, and he let go of her.

Again, it felt like an important part of her went loose.

She entered his car and he did the same. 

“Shit, we're soaked.” She feared ruining his car with water, but what could she do?

She was suddenly really annoyed at the rain for choosing that moment to fall. 

When they were finally going to kiss, that was when it knew it wanted to pour.

“We'll need to change, why don't we go to my house and dry off our clothes?” He offered, staring at her like he wasn't sure if that'd make her uncomfortable.

Going to his house? She'd never been to his house.

Of course she'd go. “Okay.” She wished she could squeal at that thought.

She'd suddenly loved the rain. She wasn't sure what she'd do at his house, but being there was certainly the best.

His car began moving and they were heading to his house. Hehe.

She was really excited to go to his house.