Chapter Twenty-Three

“What else do we have to do before we call it a night?” Drix asked Bill whose gaze was fixed on his phone screen from where he sat on the couch.

“Nothing much,” Bill said, not seeming into the conversation. In fact, it wasn't like he was at work that day, his attention kept drifting, “there are some paperworks in my office, I'd get it for you and you'd sign them.”

“Okay.”

Bill stood up, then walked to the door, opening it and closing it behind him.

After about three minutes, he was back with some paperworks as he'd said.

Bill walked over to his desk, dropping the papers in front of him on the desk as he sauntered back to the couch where he continued staring at his phone screen.

Fortunately for Drix, it wasn't a lot of work to be done and he'd be through with it I'm thirty minutes.

“Did you read what it says?” He asked Bill who still seemed lost in his phone screen.

“Hmm.”

But he doubted that was true. Bill was too distracted by something that he hadn't been working properly for about a day or two or three or more, he had no idea.

Reading the paperwork before signing would waste his time. He'd probably leave in an hour.

“What's up with you man?” He asked his friend whose gaze still didn't leave the screen.

“What do you mean?” He truly sounded like he had no idea what he was doing.

“You seem— distracted.”

Bill finally turned to him, looking like a thief that'd been caught red-handed stealing Christmas presents.

Drix wasn't sure what he'd said to get such a dramatic reaction from Bill, so he decided to pressure it out of him.

“What's bothering you, asshole?” He decided to make the conversation less tense to open Bill into the it.

Bill looked away, dropping his phone into the pocket of his pants.

“Nothing.” He rose to his feet. “I'm leaving early today.”

“Why?” Drix's forehead wrinkled.

It wasn't like Bill had been doing much work in the office that day, but leaving when there was still work to do was not business-like.

“I don't feel too well.” Bill feigned a cough, then spoke with a throaty tone, “I think I've got a cold.” Again, the cough.

The cold excuse would have been believable if they weren't in a hot summer, but Drix knew best not to pressure his friend for an answer.

“Whatever.” He turned back to the papers, waving a hand of dismissal, “go check on you cold.”

He laid more emphasis on the ‘cold’ so Bill would know he wasn't fooled.

“Thanks man. I promise to come early tomorrow.” Then he was gone.

After two hours (took much longer than expected) of reading and correcting and signing and stamping, Drix was finally signing out for the day.

It was already nine in the night and he was tired and needed a good night's rest.

Maybe a nice shower and good night sleep would help.

He stepped out of his company, surprised when he sighted the last person he wanted to see, leaning her frame over her car.

He pulled his brows in surprise and confusion as he headed towards her. “Reil? What're doing by this time?”

She gave him a flirtatious smile as she straightened her figure, her heels making her only a few inches shorter than he was.

“I've been waiting for so long. Why did you spend so long in your office?”

He was addled. “Why were you waiting for me?”

“To treat you of course.” She made it sound like he was dumb to not get that immediately.

“Treat me?” Then he recalled giving her the permission to treat him when she was better.

“Yep, so get in.” She opened the driver's seat to her car, entering it and raising a brow at him when he didn't enter the car.

What did she think? She'd just walk up to him, tell him she wanted to treat him and they'd both get into the car and zoom off?

She lowered her head. “Whatcha waiting for? Hop in.”

He rolled his eyes, thinking of a calm and normal way to reject her offer.

“I can't go today, I have to rest, okay?” He explained, but the look on her face read she wouldn't let him leave.

“Hey, I've booked us a reservation at a restaurant and I'm not letting you go till I no longer feel indebted to you for helping me out.”

He sighed. Was this what he got for helping someone in agony? Maybe he shouldn't have gone to her house that day.

He could've sent a driver or worker and that'd be the person to feel indebted to instead of him.

What had he gone getting involved and intrigued by Reil? Reil?!

“I really want to rest today, so cancel the reservation or whatever.” He said as calmly as he could but she still didn't seem cut up for that.

She got out of the car, standing right in front of him.

“What's your deal?” She folded her arms across her chest, puffing up her breast (which was not where his gaze shifted to for a second).

“Why would you expect me to cancel a reservation I already booked for the both of us? Would it kill you to just let me pay back for a good deed you did?”

He could see himself defeated in the argument on what he'd do with his life for the day.

“Reil, I'm really tired—”

“I hate feeling indebted to anyone like I've said a billion times already.” She cut him off like he hadn't even spoken in the first place.

“Come to dinner with me and let me pay you back. I promise not to disturb you about it again.”

This girl was something else. She was certainly not one to give up and he was too tired to argue.

Maybe dinner wouldn't hurt. It may help cool his brain after a long and stressful day at work.

He sighed, “okay, whatever.”

Her lips curled upwards. “Thanks handsome, you wouldn't regret it.”

Unfortunately, that flirting tone already made him regret it.