Act II - Scene 35: Parade

SC35 - Parade

EXT. ETHOS CITY. MORNING.

Twenty minutes later, Zavier returns to the alleyway carrying several bundles. He unwraps them to reveal five paraders uniforms.

KAYLA: You never cease to amaze.

ZAVIER: I do my best. Alright, get these on.

Fredricks grabs his uniform, followed by a rather reluctant Voss. Eleanor picks hers out and glances sideways at Zavier.

ELEANOR: Where are we supposed to change?

ZAVIER: Oh... uhhh...

KAYLA: And my uniform is in mens size...

ZAVIER: Hey I can't think of everything alright!

KAYLA: I take back what I said. You've ceased to amaze.

ELEANOR: Mine looks like it'll fit. Now if I can have some privacy...

ZAVIER: Right, right. We'll check and make sure nobody comes down this way. Fredricks, you go watch that end of the alley. I'll keep an eye on Voss down this way.

The men take up their posts at either end of the alley, looking determinately the other way. Eleanor quickly changes into her uniform while Kayla attempts to find a way to fit into hers to no avail.

ELEANOR: Ok, ready!

Zavier and the others return to the girls. Kayla looks at him crossly.

KAYLA: This isn't gonna work Zave.

ZAVIER: It's alright, you'll just have to sit this one out. Stay on the comm and keep a lookout for us. Alright, now it's our turn.

Kayla nods and gestures to Eleanor to watch one end of the alley. The men begin changing and Fredricks has to force Voss to put on his parade hat after he protests that it looks ridiculous. After a few minutes, the group reassembles. Kayla looks them all up and down with a grin.

KAYLA: For once I'm actually glad to sit one out. Ya'll kinda look like dorks. Especially you Voss.

Voss smiles sarcastically.

VOSS: Thanks... Now I feel so much better about this whole situation.

ZAVIER: Don't be a baby, everything'll be fine. Fredricks, can I count on you to watch him during the mission?

FREDRICKS: My pleasure.

Fredricks throws Voss a sinister glance. Voss turns to the others, looking desperate.

VOSS: Come on, what do you think I am? I just want to get out of this without getting caught. Or at the very least alive!

Eleanor strides towards Voss and stares him down.

ELEANOR: You think after what you did, I'm just gonna forget it all and forgive you? Well you have another thing coming.

Voss opens his mouth to say something but can't seem to find the words. He sighs, defeated. Suddenly a huge swell of music echoes from the main street.

ZAVIER: That's the parade starting! They'll be going past us any moment.

They take their positions by the main street. Kayla grabs Zavier by the arm.

KAYLA: Good luck.

Zavier nods as the parade passes them. They wait for a few moments before joining the back of a group of marchers with the same uniforms as them, while Kayla slinks back down the alleyway and out of sight. Eleanor attempts to keep up with the marching in her stiff outfit.

ZAVIER: Up ahead, the cathedral.

Eleanor looks up and spots the grand cathedral looming before her. Out in the front courtyard, a huge crowd of people has gathered to watch the parade and hear the high priest's speech. She looks to her side, where more people line the main street, the crowds getting busier the closer they get to the center of town. Eleanor leans over to Zavier and whispers.

ELEANOR: Do we have a distraction worked out?

ZAVIER: I have an idea. I'll let you guys know once we break off from the parade.

The parade continues down the main road, then turns off to loop around the cathedral with Eleanor, Zavier, Fredricks and Voss in tow.