From Time

C h i l o m b o, E f u r u

"Please leave a mes-" I hung up the phone and sighed.

Four days. It had been four days since I talked to Robyn and all I could do was think the worst.

She hasn't called or texted me telling me she was okay. The day she left to go handle business was the last time I had seen her and no one I've asked has had contact with her either.

I couldn't think with positivity. All I could do was imagine Robyn in a coffin or thrown out into the ocean. I've watched too many lifetime movies. I had many scenarios swarming around in my mind.

Why hasn't she contacted me? Why hasn't she returned to her house? What is going on?

"Ru?" Nami sat on my lap and placed her small hands on my cheeks. "Are you ok?" She looked at me with a frown on her face.

I masked my worry and fear and painted a smile on my face. "I'm fine Nami." I gave her a big hug.

"Can we go get ice cream before mommy and daddy comes to get me?" She asked shyly.

"Anything you want." I tickled her sides.

She laughed. "Yay!" She jumped off my lap and pulled me up to my feet. "I'm gonna get 2 scoops of vanilla with chocolate syrup!"

I held her hand as I walked us out of the apartment. I locked the door and walked down the staircase.

-

"They are going to kill me for letting you get so messy Nami." I sighed as I watched the chocolate drip down her chins.

She grinned, a chocolatey smile lighting up her face. "It's yummy Ru." She lifted her spoon to give me a taste. I leaned over and allowed her to feed me the chocolatey mess.

I rubbed my tummy. "It is yummy." I paused and shook my head. "Too bad most of it is on your clothes."

"Noooo. Only just a little! See." She used her sticky hands to pull at the bottom of her shirt. She lifted it just enough to show me where a tiny drop of chocolate had landed there.

I sighed dramatically when she released the shirt and two smudged handprints were added to the assortment of stains.

"I think we better go on back to my apartment. Get you all fresh and clean before they come pick you up." I suggested.

She nodded. "Mkaaay." I picked her up and wiped her hands the best I could.

"Let's try not to leave sticky fingerprints all over the place. Okay?" I asked. Nami nodded.

As we walked out of the ice cream shop, a dreadful feeling settled in the pit of my stomach. I looked around the busy streets as if danger was going to jump out from anywhere at any moment. 

I had a firm grip on Nami as I walked to my car. I buckled her into the backseat before closing the door. My eyes searched around briefly before I walked around the car and got into the driver seat.

I started the car. I sighed to rid my body of the nauseous feeling settling in my stomach. I closed my eyes to calm my jittery hands.

I was startled by a knock on the passenger window. I looked over and had to do a double take.

"Robyn?" I shook my head.

I was seeing things. Why would Robyn be standing next to my car when we haven't spoken to each other in almost a week.

"Can you roll down the window?" She shouted through the glass.

I shook my head no. "I have to go." I said quickly. I backed out of the parking spot and drove off. I looked into the rear view mirror to see Robyn staring at my car.

How dare she think she can pick and choose when to talk to me. For the last four days I was worried sick about her and called her every chance I could get, yet the moment I push her to the back of my mind, she pops up wanting to talk. I don't understand.

-

"Bye Ru!" Nami kissed my cheek.

"Bye princess. I'll see you next weekend." I gave her a big hug as her adopted mother buckled her into the backseat.

"See you next weekend Efuru." We hugged and I watched as they drove off.

I climbed the stairs to my apartment and sighed. "Why are you here?"

"We need to talk." She said, following me into my apartment and closing the door behind her.

"Now you want to talk after being MIA for four days. I called you constantly worrying about you and now that you're ready you want to talk? No thanks." I was angry. I could feel the anger build confidence within me.

"Jhene, sit down and listen!" She yelled, slamming her hand on the table beside me.

I jumped and bit down on the inside of my cheek. "Don't talk to me like that." I squeaked out.

"Look I'm sorry," she lifted her hand and I flinched. She dropped her hand back down to her side. "Can we please just sit down and talk." Her voice was softer.

"Fine." I sat on the couch and waited for her to explain.

"I know I should have answered your phone calls... I just... I couldn't." She ran her hands through her hair and sighed. "I didn't want to talk to you until I got the results back."

"Results for what?" I asked.

Robyn looked away. "That day I left, I got a call from someone I used to mess around with." She looked back at me. "She told me ... " Robyn took a deep breath. "She told me she was HIV Positive."

My eyes widened. I felt sick to my stomach. I wanted to throw up. I couldn't even look at Robyn. "What did the results say?" I questioned. I tried my hardest to keep my emotions at bay.

Robyn ignored my question. "When she told me that, I hit her a few times and stormed off. I cried in my car. I wasn't worried about myself, I was worried about you. I couldn't let my past damage my present. I-"

"WHAT DID THE RESULTS SAY?!" I shouted cutting her off.

Robyn licked her lips. "I don't have HIV."

I felt relief wash over me.

"I-I have Chlamydia." She confessed.

I covered my mouth and rushed to the bathroom. I closed and locked the door before releasing the content in my stomach into the toilet.

I have never felt so disgusted in my life.