Chapter 12

Toby's POV:

As Spencer cries in my arms I try to hold it together, for her, but inside I feel so much pain that she had to go through that and guilt because I wasn't there to protect her and that's my job. I feel even worse because she thought it was me and that's why she went into the bedroom where the hooded figure was. On top of my pain and guilt I feel pure joy that she is awake. When she pulls away from me she asks "Toby who found me?" I take a deep breath and say "I did. I lost track of time in a bookstore. I walked in the door ready to surprise you with flowers and books when I walked in the bedroom and saw you on the floor, unconscious." "Toby I'm SO sorry" she says as she buries her head in my chest again. "No no no, don't apologize. I should be the one apologizing. I should have been there to protect you." I said shamefully. "Toby, you can't protect me every single moment of everyday. It's not your fault and I don't ever want you to think that, ever," she said while moving my head to look at her. I lightly kissed her and said "I love you more than anything in this world, did you know that?" She smiled at me and said "yes, but I love you more." I saw her wince which reminded me, "I'm gonna go get a nurse. I'll be right back, I promise" and with that I left the room.