Chapter 6

Shailene POV

    I don't want to say Daren fully deserved that, he was kind of embarrassed in front of the whole class. Though he kind of somewhat deserved it, that should show him not to be rude to people for no reason. I start to laugh when it happens, but I realize if Daren sees me laughing at him he's really going to lose it so I regain my composure. When Daren gets off the ground and back into his seat he passes me the papers and I grab a packet and pass the rest on. I look over at Daren and see his knuckles turning white, I can tell he's really angry and is like a ticking time bomb.

     I slowly move my hand towards him and put it on top of his. He looks at me and I smile at him, trying to calm him down. After a few minutes it seems to work and I can see him start to relax. I sigh, good thing he did because the last thing we need is for him to attack a professor. That would probably result in an automatic dismissal from the campus... and some jail time probably. I pay attention the rest of the time while Mr. James is going over all these different papers, I really want to do well in all my classes. I try not pay attention too much because I know how much he upset Daren, and I probably should be mad at him since Daren is.

     Class is finally dismissed and Daren storms out, leaving all of his things in the class. I sigh and slowly get up, I know once we get in the car I'm going to hear all about how much he hates the teacher. I don't really want to deal with him right now though, especially since my day is actually going really good. As I'm picking up Daren's stuff I realize that this is going to be too much for me to carry. I'm trying to figure out a way to balance our book bags when I hear, "So does he always leave you to pick up his stuff, because if so that's not a way to treat a woman." I look up and see Mr. James talking to me, I raise my eyebrows. Are professors supposed to interact with students? I shake my head, "Like I said before, he's just having a bad day."

     He sits on the edge of his desk, "We all have bad days but it doesn't give us a reason to treat a woman with disrespect." I don't say anything, what can I say back to that? Daren doesn't treat me bad, I mean yeah we argue but I wouldn't go far and say he's a bad guy. I'm lifting his book bag over my shoulder when Mr. James comes over to me, "Do you need help with that miss?" I shake my head, "No thank you Mr. James, I'm stronger than I look." He chuckles and leans against the table, I look around and see that all of the students are already gone. What confuses me is why hasn't Daren come back yet to help. I understand that he's mad but he wouldn't just leave me here.

     "Sorry about earlier, I was just trying to joke about what happened. Didn't think he would take it personally." Mr. James starts. I sigh, "No it's fine, just between you and me I thought it was kind of funny. He shouldn't have been rude to you in the first place." I look at the books and try to figure out how I'm going to balance those out too without dropping everything. All of a sudden Mr. James is grabbing the books and stacking them, "Since you helped me with my papers the least I can do is help you with the books." He's smiling at me, I realize how close he is and I really allow myself to look at him. He has the most beautiful brown eyes, his lips are full, and his jawline is almost perfect. Wait Shai stop yourself right there, he's your professor. I look down but as I'm doing that I can't help but realize how muscular he is, even though he has a jacket on you can tell he works out.

     I can slowly feel my heartbeat start to increase, he must know he's an attractive person. I look back up at him and he's still smiling at me, I smile back "Thank you Mr. James, at least you're being more helpful than Daren." He chuckles, "So that's his name..." he steps forward, getting closer to me. "And what's your name by the way, I don't think I caught it." Right as I'm about to talk all of a sudden I hear, "SHAILENE?? What is taking you so long?" I look over and see Daren storming towards us, I take a step back from Mr. James and Daren grabs his books and book bag from me, "Sorry I left you here, I just had to take a moment to myself." He grabs my hand and starts pulling me to the door, mumbling a goodbye to the professor and we walk out together.

A/N; Hey guys! Should I update more often or keep it at once a week? I really enjoy writing the story but I'm worried I'll get writers block one day 😩

<4