Chapter 14

Theo POV

I can't stop thinking about her, our conversation together. Even though it was short and brief I felt like that was the closest thing to flirting I've gotten with her. Did she feel something towards me? I mean it's crazy to think about it just by a little conversation, but just how she looked at me... the way she blushed and laughed. I can't believe I did that though, I still can't believe it. Winking at her, flirting with her. I mean she didn't deny me or look at me weird so that has to be a good sign, a really good sign.

I just have to think of something to do... something to see how she thinks of me. I mean we've had some really good conversations before, so I would technically consider us friends. She's also opened up to me about her personal life, she didn't have to do that especially since I gave her the option to or not. I wonder if she considers us friends or am I just her professor and nothing more. Just something about her, something draws me to her. Maybe it's her unique personality, or her breathtaking taking smile, quite possibly it's her outlook on life. All I know is when I see her, I just want to be right next to her. It's kind of like a magnetic, I'm drawn to her.

As I'm getting ready for bed an idea hits me on how to get closer to her, I go to bed with a smile and her on my mind.

Shailene POV

I sit there with Ana across from me, she texted me saying she needed to talk to me so I invited her over a few hours later. As I look at her I realize she won't make eye contact with me and keeps messing with this gold necklace she has on. I remember once she mentioned that she only messes with it when she's really stressed out, I don't tell her I remember this but I wait for her to talk. I wonder what is going through her mind right now, is she going to try to cover up for Daren?

She clears her throat and sits up, "Shai.... I don't know how to tell you this, but with you being my best friend I can't lie to you or hide something from you." This catches my attention quickly, I decide to play dumb, "What are you talking about Ana, you're kind of freaking me out." She awkwardly laughs, "You're right, probably shouldn't have started a conversation like that... they never go good after someone says they can't hide something." I actually can't help but laugh which makes her laugh with me. I love how even through all of this tension we can still laugh together.

She composes herself and takes a breath, "Before I tell you I want you to know that I didn't know I was doing anything, and if I would have known I would have stopped it sooner.... While you were talking to Mr. James, Daren came up to me asking if I would go out on a date with him.... I told him that I couldn't do that to you and that no matter what would happen now I wouldn't go out to him because you're my best friend and I would never do that to you. He also tried to kiss me but I quickly pushed him back before he got the chance to kiss me....... I'm so sorry Shailene..... I don't want this to ruin our friendship..." She looks down and I can't help but smile.

I sit right next to her and she looks up and has a confused look on her face, "Why are you smiling... oh god don't tell me you've gone psycho and now you're going to kill me...." We both laugh at her terrible joke, I shake my head, "Only you would make the killer psycho joke... you need to stop watching Criminal Minds!" She gasps, "Stop watching Criminal Minds? Is that possible?!?!" We laugh again, I'm actually quite enjoying this. "I'm smiling because I already knew about this.... I wasn't in Mr. James class for long and as I was turning the corner I heard you guys talking about this." She looks down and covers her face, "Shai I seriously had no idea about this...." I make her look at me, "Ana relax, I'm not mad at you. If anything I'm happy because you actually came to me right after and told me the truth."

She slightly smiles, "Well like I said before Shai, you're my best friend... I can't lie to you or hide this from you." I hug her, "Thank you girl, it means a lot that you have enough courage to come to me about this even though it must be nerve-wracking." She nods and takes a sigh of relief, "At least that's over with... what are you going to do with him?" I shake my head, "I'm going to break up with him of course, we aren't in love anymore and I knew that for a while, honestly... we should have broken up awhile ago but I wanted to see if he would try anything with you.... He really does like you." She stiffens up when I say this and looks at me, right as she's about to speak we hear pounding on the door.

"Open up Shailene... we need to talk." Daren yells out. We both jump up to our feet, Daren will probably be mad that Ana already told me after he asked her not to. She starts looking around and I hug her and whisper, "Go through the back, I'll call you later tonight." She nods and hugs me back, quickly rushing out the back door. Just as she is about to leave I call out her name, she looks at me. "You know... you should give him a chance." She looks confused and then her eyes get all wide, she shakes her head and leaves. I turn back to the front door and take a deep breath, I walk towards it and open it.

Time to finally face this.