Chapter 12

Theo's POV

Finally my last class of the day, I don't think I've ever been so excited for my last class. Usually I would be sad because that means my teaching would be done for the day, I really do enjoy my job and love teaching people. I take a deep breath before I enter the class, the second I stepped in my eyes wandered until I saw her. Sitting in her usual spot, next to her is that Daren kid and some girl I don't recall seeing in my last class. I realize I'm just standing in the doorway so I quickly recover and walk over to my desk, pulling out some papers I printed off for class. I can't help but glance over at her, she's talking with her friends but every now and then she looks over at me too.

    I clear my throat and start, "Good afternoon guys, I know it's the second day of class but we're going to dive right into the chapter. We have a lot to cover and not enough time to go over everything. I know not everyone has their book so I printed off some notes for you guys. Just make sure to have it by the next class because we use it a lot in this class." I start passing out notes to the kids who don't have their book and I notice that Shailene already as her book but Daren doesn't. So as I'm passing Daren his notes I slightly brush my hands against Shailene's hands. She quickly looks at me then looks down and blushes, I apologize and hand the girl next to her the notes. "Hey I don't think I recall you from my last class..." I mention to the student, she looks at me and shakes her head. "No I recently just joined the class, my name is Ana by the way!" I nod and extend my hand, "As you can tell I'm the professor, Mr. Taptiklis. Though you can call me Mr. James cause that sounds a lot better." She nods and I continue passing out the notes. What am I doing! I shouldn't have brushed my hands against Shailene's, totally unprofessional. I shake off the thought and start class.

After Class.

    I still can't stop thinking about touching Shailene's hand, the electricity that flowed through my body when it happened. Honestly that feeling still hasn't gone away, I still can feel the high of the rush. During the whole class I noticed she did try to pay attention but Darren kept talking to her and Ana throughout the whole class, I would have separated them but this is college... a whole different approach to things. Some students decided to stay after class to ask questions about my lecture, I notice while I'm talking to them that Shailene gets in line behind them. I try to hide my smile, even though I barely knew her I really enjoyed being in her presence, I wonder if she felt the same.

    I look back to see if either Daren or Ana are with her but I turn my head a little and see Daren trying to talk to Ana but she looks slightly uncomfortable. I quietly chuckle, this guy doesn't know when to leave people alone. I look back in front of me and Shailene is standing there waiting on me. I smile quickly as the whole class fades away, I can't help but just focus on her. "So about class today..." I try to snap out of my thoughts as I realize she said something to me. "What about class? Were you confused?" She shakes her head, "No I just really enjoyed the lecture today. Talking about life and all the meanings behind it. It was really inspiring. I believe we all have a destiny but at the same time we can change out fate."

    I nod and can't help but smile like an idiot. I enjoy a woman who can hold a conversation about Philosophy. She notices me smiling because she raises her eyebrow as to ask what I'm smiling about. I shake my head, "Sorry, I was thinking about something. I personally believe that-" All of a sudden Daren comes up to us, "Everything fine over here babe?" He wraps his arm around Shailene and for a second I could feel heat run through my body but I was able to relax when Shailene awkwardly escaped his grasp. She nods, "Yes, actually I was having a conversation with Mr. James about fate." He grabs her hand and starts pulling her away from me, "Well come on slowpoke, we're all going to go out to see a movie!" Shailene looks at me apologetically, before she is out the door she says, "Maybe some other time we can finish this conversation." She is dragged out the classroom and I look down and whisper, "You can count on it Shailene."