Chapter 38

Ana POV

Shailene told me to leave for awhile and then to come back in about an hour. I pull up to her apartment and see a truck parked behind her car, it must be Mr. James. I park my car and get out, I can feel my heart racing and feel warm even though it's freezing cold outside. I look at my phone and see Daren calling me, I debate on picking up but I know I have to do this first. I walk over to the door and start knocking, waiting for Shailene to let me in.

She opens the door and we say hello, I walk in and see an empty house. No one in sight.

"Having a relaxing night aren't you! Perfect timing knowing finals are going to be in a month, plus one or two weeks." I say, still walking around trying to see where Mr. James is at.

"Yeah just a little Netflix, relaxing here at home." She says. I turn around and look at her, I mouth 'Where is he at?' She shrugs, pointing towards the hallway. I start walking a little bit more, "Oh hey Shai I'm going to your room, I left my sweater in there." I open her door and see an empty room again. I sigh and start looking around.

Theo POV

What is Shailene doing? She needs to get rid of Ana, I know that's her best friend but I can't risk losing Shai. I can feel my heart beating faster and faster. "Oh hey Shai I'm going to your room, I left my sweater in there." My heart feels like it's about to jump out of my chest, I'm close to her room. I hope once she finds her sweater she leaves. I wonder what Shailene is doing to cover all of this up.

I know I can't get fired for this, they would probably just let it be since the semester is just about over. I know this has happened before, they just pull you into their office and talk to you about it. Nothing bad at all, they trust us and know we are all adults. I just don't want to put that stress on Shailene, she doesn't deserve it. I have to come up with some type of excuse, 'Oh hey Ana, I'm just here to drop off some homework.' Or 'Oh god where am I at? Too much alcohol..." Crap neither of those will work because Shailene didn't miss anything nor do I look drunk. OH CRAP my car is out front too, maybe Shailene told her that her neighbor parked next to her cause their parking spot is gone. Some type of excuse.

I sit there in silence a little longer, trying to figure out a perfect excuse to give if I do get caught. I listen in and hear more footsteps, I try not to make any sound. I hear a door open and shut, it sounds like the main door. I sigh in a breath of relief, that was the most intense few moments of my life. I relax for a minute or two and then all of a sudden the door opens and I see a shocked Ana looking at me. Crap.